The Celtics got a boost to their frontcourt on Wednesday afternoon after a league source confirmed to BostonSportsJournal.com that Aron Baynes had elected to exercise his $5.4 million player option and return to the Celtics next season. Shams Charania of Stadium was first to report the news.
Baynes' agent Daniel Moldovan spoke exclusively with BostonSportsJournal.com about Baynes' decision to opt in.
“Aron and his family have been embraced by the club and the city since Day 1 and they genuinely love it in Boston," Moldovan said. "Aron cares about winning above all and he has unfinished business. He couldn’t be happier to be back with Celtics again next season.”
Baynes's future appeared to be up in the air last month at a community event in Boston as he wrestled with the choice.
“I haven’t really thought too much about that,” Baynes said in May. “I know my heart’s still here in Boston. I love Boston. It’s been great to my family. There’s no better place to play than TD Garden during the playoffs or when you’re in the middle of a comeback. So if I’m thinking of that, I know where I want to be. But at the same time I’ve got to talk with Danny, I’ve got to talk to Brad and see what their thoughts are as well. I want to be in the right situation.”
With Baynes opting in, the Celtics now have eight players under contract for the 2019-20 season.