With a long, resounding creak — fresh air optional — the Secondary Transfer Window in Major League Soccer opens today, and will run until Wednesday, August 8. A little over four weeks for the Revolution to do something to improve their squad moving deeper into the second half of the season.
First-year manager Brad Friedel has spoken on several occasions this spring — and reiterated it in training last week — of his desire to bring in one or two players to increase competition in the squad. He said it to us back in April, before the Primary Transfer Window closed — and saw Lee Nguyen leave for LA in the last gasps for $700,000 split evenly in General and Targeted Allocation Money, without a replacement body. But that was also before Chris Tierney’s season-ending injury at the end of May.
If you want to be technical, the Revs would need to make four moves during this window to bring the roster to the size Friedel wanted in April. Again, that’s a technicality. I’m not saying that’s what will happen.
Here are New England’s available roster spots:
2 Senior roster spots
1 international slot
1 Designated Player slot
3 Reserve roster spots
What will The Boys In Blue do? That remains to be seen: the Revs have traditionally stood pat at this point in the season, have brought in players that have not panned out, or have told the public, “We tried!” when the transfer window closes without any moves made. In ’14, the Revs landed Jermaine Jones in the days before the end of the window, and proceeded to win the Eastern Conference playoffs en route to their fifth loss in the MLS Cup Final.
And with BSJ on the Revs beat, the days of “We tried” need to be over. New England needs to improve their squads regularly: complacency over new signings and treachery to the paying supporters — which is one in the same — needs to cease.
The Revs’ must-have needs, in my eyes: