FOXBOROUGH — Chris Price and I are on the scene at Gillette and we'll bring you any big happenings on the practice field.
Note: Due to media policies our in-practice observations are limited, but we'll have a thorough breakdown following the session.
Here we go:
- First player on the field in 2017 was Tony Garcia, the third-round pick out of Troy.
- Tom Brady, as usual, got a huge cheer when he took the field, and he acknowledged it with a wave. Brady is always in great shape, but looks even more wiry strong at least to me. He also seems eager to get started.
- Rob Gronkowski was one of the last to take the field, and also got a lot of cheers.
- DC Matt Patrcia is having a long discussion during stretching with LB David Harris. Think those two are going to enjoy each other this season. Both football brainiacs.
- Undrafted WR Austin Carr made a sweet twisting catch to end the goal line drill that pitted the WRs vs. the DBs. The DBs lost, so they had to do pushups.
Others from the same drill:
- Carr has been the star of day one, with several nice catches.
- Gronkowski is his usual dominating self, and is having a grand old time between plays. He even acknowledged a young lady in the stands that brought a "Future Mrs. Gronkowski" sign.
- Jimmy Garoppolo looks completely at ease with everything. He's being patient in his reads, and throwing the ball with great anticipation.
- Jonathan Jones is getting a long look as the Patriots search for that third corner.
- Brandin Cooks showed exactly why he's here when Brady pump faked down the middle and then hit Cooks over the top down the sideline for a touchdown in 11-on-11.
- Rex Burkhead seems to be getting a long look as the two-minute RB. Probably trying to get him up to speed. James White and Dion Lewis know the drill.
- No sign of Rob Ninkovich or Kony Ealy today.
- The Patriots have signed WR Tony Washington. Washington, 26, was on the Jaguars and appeared in six games. One pass for 9 yards.
Practice is about to wrap up. We'll be back with more.