Morning! Welcome to The Quest for 7, where volunteer writer, Steven Viner, scours the net for seven Patriots related articles from other sites offering different points of view on the six-time champs. Paid subscribers not only get to read all seven, but they also get to check out his always fiery "Steve's Soapbox" at the end.
1. There's rioting in the streets amongst Patriots fans over the need for an outside wide receiver, and Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal's column lets us know if there are any fits via free agency and trade. After last year's struggles with the position, hopefully Bill Belichick agrees.
2. Load up on water and non-perishable foods before running to your underground bunker, because this disaster is coming. Brad Gagnon of the Comeback gives his Five reasons why a 17-game NFL season would suck, and I can tell you this, I couldn't agree more. Rumors are swirling that the secret CBA meetings are already taking place, so get your CB radios and candles ready.
3. I basically never include another team's story in The Quest, but with New England's subpar drafting as of late, I felt it necessary to show why this needs to change. Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated rubs it in Pats fan's faces that a few great drafts have made it easier for the Saints to sign Brees. At this point, I don't care if Belichick and Caserio stop at a CVS for a draft magazine and wing it. Their system needs change.
4. Rumors linking this player to the Patriots before last year's trade deadline became pretty hot and heavy. Once again, it's time to rekindle the fire and dim the lights. Doug Kyed of NESN uses lipstick to draw up a plan on the mirror and figure out how the Patriots could offset Stefon Diggs' cap hit in a potential trade. Come on Belichick, seduce those Vikings!
5. As obvious as a pimple on Pinocchio's nose, last year's Patriots had a dire need for