Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was shot and seriously wounded at a bar in his native Dominican Republic Sunday night.
CDN 37, a TV news network in the Dominican, reported that Ortiz was shot and taken to a hospital in an ambulance. The network reported that one suspect had been apprehended after the incident.
Initial reports suggested that Ortiz was wounded in the leg, but Dionisio Soldevila, a reporter on the scene in Santa Domingo, reported that Ortiz was shot in the back, with the bullet exiting through his abdomen. He later underwent surgery.
A Santa Domingo police official said Ortiz's condition was stable.
Leo Ortiz, Ortiz's father, told ESPN's Enrique Rojas that his son was "injured and that they took him to a medical center, but they did not tell me how he is or exactly where he was transferred.''
A Red Sox spokesman said he was aware of the reports of the shooting, but could not offer confirmation or any additional information.
Ortiz, 43, played 20 years in the big leagues and played for the Red Sox from 2003 through his retirement from the game following the 2016 season.