A few random thoughts while I wonder if the Bruins are on the West Coast for the rest of the season...
- So, there's a lot of chatter, as always, about the Patriots and the offseason. Most of it is complete nonsense, fanned by the plethora of websites (especially around here) that rely on clicks.
- That being said, Chris Simms of PFT dropped an interesting nugget last week. He said the Patriots were the most aggressive team in terms of trading for Odell Beckham Jr. last offseason.
- That's pretty interesting. And I don't doubt it for a second.
- What most people are missing is the Patriots were in pursuit of Beckham in the offseason. That was before he signed the megadeal in late August that now pays him at least $13.75 million annually ($16.75 million this year).
- Do you know how much the Patriots would have had to pay Beckham in 2018 had they traded for him? $8.459 million. That's what he was due to make last season.
- Now, Beckham could have held out for that big extension ... but he reported to the Giants on time. Do you really think he would have refused to work with Tom Brady had the Patriots traded for Beckham? No way.
- If the Patriots made the trade, they also would have had the franchise tag at their disposal for this offseason ... and probably could have found another Brandin Cooks trade.
- That's why I don't see any correlation between the Patriots trading for OBJ last year, and a possible deal this offseason. Yes, the Giants already paid his signing bonus, but he would still cost about $10 million more than any receiver they've ever paid — each season.
- If I had to bet, the Patriots had their shot at OBJ and it's likely over. But you never say never with the Patriots. And desperation can make people do all sorts of things. And they are desperate at the position.
Time to hit the links...
McAdam: Sources – Red Sox don’t have insurance on Dustin Pedroia’s contract
Red Sox Notebook: Eduardo Rodriguez turns to Pedro Martinez and Chris Sale to improve a pitch
McAdam: What impact will Manny Machado’s deal have on Mookie Betts?
Completed Q&A: Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
7 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Conor Ryan on Bruins/NHL
7 p.m.: MCBK — Boston College at N.C. State (NESN)
8:30 p.m.: MCBK — St. John’s at Providence (FS1)
10 p.m.: NHL — Bruins at Vegas, NBCSN (Ryan)
[table id=224 /]
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.