Red Sox

Red Sox Notebook: Fenway set to welcome back some fans on Opening Day

(Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox via Getty Images)

Following the announcement by Gov. Charlie Baker that limited seating would be allowed at venues later next month, the Red Sox announced plans to have some fans at Fenway Park for Opening Day (April 1) and beyond.

The Sox could have as many 4,500 fans at Fenway, with first priority given to season ticket holders.

"Additional details about the plan, including ticket sales information, will be communicated in the coming weeks,'' the Red Sox said in a statement.

The news was warmly received by the Sox.

"I wasn't here last year, but talking to the players, it was weird (playing without fans),'' said Alex Cora. "Obviously, where we're at with the virus, to have fans is great. From our end, that means that our families can actually be part of it, too. That means a lot, to go to Fenway and watch us perform. Things are trending in the right direction and this is another step.

"Hopefully, whenever we can, we're going to have a packed house and that's going to be really, really special. Two thousand (in Fort Myers), four thousand at Fenway, it's going to feel great. Whatever it is, it's going to feel special. Talking to the guys that played in the World Series -- we have Enrique (Hernandez, then with the Dodgers) and we have Hunter (Renfroe, then with the Rays), it was a different feeling toward the end (when a limited number of fans were allowed for games). It will be cool to have at least X amount of fans and our families.''