Celtics

Everything you need to know about the Grizzlies’ pick heading into the 2020 NBA Draft Lottery

(Sarah Stier/Getty Images)

We’ve covered the ramifications of the 2020 Grizzlies' first-round pick heading into the draft lottery all season here at BostonSportsJournal.com, but here is a guide to assist you with the watching experience (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN) as the C’s try to add to their assortment of draft assets in what could be a critical night for the team’s offseason plans

Q: What picks can the Celtics land tonight and why?

A: The Celtics can only land one pick in tonight’s draft for 2020 and that’s the No. 14 overall selection via Memphis. The Grizzlies owe Boston a 2020 first-round pick but it is top-6 protected for the 2020 NBA Draft. Therefore, if the Grizzlies jump up into the top four spots of the lottery (they can’t land in 5-13 range), Memphis will keep the pick for 2020 and the Celtics will get a 2021 unprotected first-round pick from Memphis instead.

Q: What are the odds of the Grizzlies landing a top-four pick?

A: Very low. There is only a 2.4 percent chance they jump up in one of the top four spots since they are the best team (record-wise) in the lottery. If the Grizzlies pick jumps up into the top-four, they will keep the pick. There is a 97.6 percent chance the Celtics get the No. 14 overall pick and a 2.4 percent chance the Grizzlies pick will roll over to 2021 for Boston.

Q: Will we see the lottery happen on TV?

A: No, the NBA will hold the proceedings out of sight Thursday evening before the results are announced live in a half-hour special on ESPN at 8:30 p.m. ET (after the Bucks-Magic game ends).

Q: Why do the Grizzlies have the worst lottery odds when they finished with the same record as the Suns? 

A: The lottery standings were frozen as of March 11 when the NBA season was suspended. Portland was moved out of the lottery since they made the postseason but the Grizzlies had the best record of any lottery team on that March 11 date. Due to that, they are locked into the No. 14 slot for odds while Phoenix is locked into No. 10 despite their strong 8-0 finish to the season in Orlando.

Q: What’s the best-case scenario for the Celtics? 

A: The best-case scenario in terms of possible upside is the pick