A few random thoughts while I wonder if Jimmy Garoppolo really played in the NFC Championship Game...
- Chiefs beat the Titans 35-24 in the AFCCG, the Niners dusted the Packers 37-20 to advance to the Super Bowl.
- So weird the Patriots weren't playing. They're an institution.
- Will have more thoughts on the games later, but the Chiefs' win went about how I thought it would. Like the Patriots, the Titans grabbed a 17-7 lead and then watched KC scored 14 straight points to take the lead. The big difference? The Patriots had Tom Brady to answer Patrick Mahomes (against a worse KC defense), and the Titans had Ryan Tannehill.
- You knew the Chiefs would make a run. Could the Titans answer? Nope.
- I did not see a blowout in the other game but, then again, I didn't think Mike Pettine would try to force Jimmy Garoppolo to beat them by playing basically the 2018 Chargers' defense in Foxborough. The Packers just got blown up and they did zero cap control or edge holding.
- Another chip for the anti-assets-for-RBs crowd (charter member here): Raheem Mostert was on his seventh team and was the best player on the field. Great Niners line and bad Packers defense helped as well.
- Wonder what Bill Belichick texted Jimmy Garoppolo last night.
- Bruins suffered a brutal loss in Pittsburgh on Sunday, blowing a 3-0 lead.
- This has been a pattern for the Bruins.
- Celtics have dropped six of eight games. What's wrong?
- Red Sox coaches and players all said the right things at Winter Weekend.
- Remember the man on MLK Day.
Time to hit the links...
The Quest for 7: Patriots news, Brady everywhere, Mock drafts, Links 1.20.20
NFL Notebook: Conference Championship picks, potential selloffs for Patriots?
Completed Q&A: Bedard on Patriots/NFL 01.18.20
MLB Notebook: Baseball determined not to gamble with its image
Live Q & A: Chat Red Sox and MLB with Sean McAdam, Monday at 5 p.m.
Red Sox Notebook: J.D. Martinez confident MLB won’t find much in investigation of Red Sox
McAdam: Red Sox coaching staff faces scrutiny for its past, uncertainty over its future
Bruins’ struggles with closing out wins continue to be an alarming — and inexcusable — trend this year
BSJ Game Report: Penguins 4, Bruins 3 – B’s blow another 3-goal lead, this time in regulation
NHL Notebook: Grading Bruins players ahead of bye week; Kovalchuk thriving in Montreal
2:30 p.m.: NBA — Toronto at Atlanta (NBATV)
3 p.m.: NHL — Detroit at Colorado (NHLN)
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
5 p.m.: NBA — New Orleans at Memphis (TNT)
7:30 p.m.: NBA — LA Lakers at Celtics (TNT)
10 p.m.: NBA — Golden State at Portland (TNT)
[table id=224 /]
— NFL (@NFL) January 20, 2020
Need account help? See a typo? Problems with your account? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.