A few random thoughts while I wonder what might have happened had the Patriots defense stopped the Dolphins...
- Very interesting NFL divisional weekend, even if the Patriots weren't directly involved. Of course, there are still a ton of New England ties to the NFL playoffs.
- The Titans shocked a lot of people in upsetting the Ravens, but I thought this was possible back when I touted an easier playoff road for the Patriots (if they beat Miami). New England could have been hosting the AFC Championship Game again.
- Good for Mike Vrabel and Jon Robinson. And I'm giddy with the thought of Ryan Tannehill possibly playing the Super Bowl in his old home stadium.
- Bill O'Brien lost his chance at the AFCCG. Many people saw a blown 24-0 lead. I saw a Texans team that got lucky early, the breaks swung back to the Chiefs in the second quarter ... and then the better team won the second half.
- The Chiefs came from behind against the Patriots twice last year, putting up 55 points in three quarters of action. That KC came back and put up 51 in three quarters yesterday ... anyone who has watched that team knew it was coming.
- Jimmy G is one win away from the Super Bowl. I think a Titans-49ers Super Bowl would be cool from a New England perspective. The Patriots can't be there every single year.
- Josh McDaniels didn't get the Browns job, which isn't a shock since he was going to want the organization wired a certain way ... and now that looks like it was never going to happen. Maybe the Browns will wise up in two years when they're looking for another coach.
- Does this help the odds that Tom Brady will be back? It certainly won't hurt, but I don't think McDaniels getting an HC was going to push Brady one way or the other. He wants to be back here.
- Julian Edelman was arrested for vandalism in Hollywood. I don't really care. More impressive: he can play through injury on the field and off it. The competitive level took another leap.
Time to hit the links...
NFL Notebook: An early look at NFL free agents, Brady & Raiders, divisional round picks
The Quest for 7: Patriots Free Agent Frenzy, Edelman the New Gronk, McDaniels Duped? 1.13.20
Podcast: Bedard talks Brady, McDaniels & Patriots on The Jason McIntyre Show 01.11.19
Bedard: What does Tom Brady want? Plus tidbits on Stidham, McDaniels in Cleveland, Patriots WRs and OC plans
Completed Q&A: Bedard on Patriots offseason, NFL 01.10.19
NHL Notebook: Bruins reportedly have Tyler Toffoli deal in ‘hip pocket;’ could Ondrej Kase be a value pick-up?
How the Bruins’ next wave of star defensemen picked up a shorthanded blue line on Saturday
Is there any merit in extending 3v3 overtime? Bruce Cassidy gives his thoughts
MLB Notebook: Red Sox should acknowledge the obvious; scouting report on Brice
Live Q & A: Chat Red Sox and MLB with Sean McAdam, Monday, 5 p.m.
McAdam: What the Red Sox’ arbitration settlements mean – and don’t mean
5 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
7 p.m.: NHL — Bruins at Philadelphia (NESN/NHLN)
7:30 p.m.: NBA — Chicago at Celtics (NBCSB)
7 p.m.: MCBK — Boston University at Loyola Maryland (CBSSN)
8 p.m.: CFB — National Championship: Clemson vs. LSU (ESPN)
[table id=224 /]
"AAAAND HE CAN PAAAASSSS!"
DERRICK HENRY JUMP-PASS TD, UNREAL 🔥
— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) January 12, 2020
Need account help? See a typo? Problems with your account? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.