A few random thoughts while I wonder if Bill Belichick will send Lane Johnson a holiday card that wishes him fun this holiday season...
- Kind of amazing the Patriots need to bring out all the stops to beat a middling Eagles team with an overrated quarterback, but that's the 2019 Patriots.
- No shame in that — could win them a Super Bowl — but that's just who they are at this point. And unless Isaiah Wynn is a combination of Bruce Armstrong and John Hannah, then I don't really see that changing very much.
- They are going to have to scrap out every win against teams with a good defense and a capable offense. Nobody said you have to win on style points to win the Super Bowl. Just winning ugly is fine too.
- Yeah, Tom Brady isn't happy. He shouldn't be. If the department you're in charge of at work was crappy and needed to be carried by everyone else just so the company survived, you'd go home angry too.
- But it was hilarious that Bill Belichick, in contrast, could not talk enough at the podium.
- Speaking of scrappy ... Julian Edelman had the big play that was the difference in the game.
- You should hear Philly sports talk radio. They are burying Doug Pederson and Carson Wentz. Guess they don't think the Patriots defense is too tough to overcome. They would be wrong.
- While you were watching two offenses wage a pillow fight, the Celtics saw their 10-game winning streak snapped.
- How did that happen?
View from Philly
But for one trick play, the Eagles’ defense played well in loss to Patriots
Valid excuses aside, Carson Wentz still came up short in Eagles’ loss to the Patriots | Jeff McLane
Eagles needed a playmaker against the Patriots, and they did not have one | David Murphy
Grading the Eagles’ performance in their Week 11 loss to the Patriots | Paul Domowitch
Eagles’ offensive line loses Lane Johnson, then battle in the trench to Patriots | Bob Ford
Eagles-Patriots: Carson Wentz was better than Tom Brady. Doesn’t mean he was very good, and four other takeaways | David Murphy
Tony Romo was great during Eagles-Patriots. Just don’t order him a cheesesteak.
Time to hit the links...
Bedard: Forget the offense, this Patriots team is about defense, and that side was lights out again
Pretty tricky, Josh: But how long can gadget plays cover for Patriots punchless passing game?
Podcast: Bedard on win over Eagles with Patriots Postgame Show 11.17.19
Video: Jason McCourty – ‘You get to the last drive in the fourth quarter, that’s what’s going to matter’
Video: Eagles TE Zach Ertz – ‘Going in I thought there were going to be a lot more double teams’
Video: Terrence Brooks – ‘I feel like it’s just a lot of smart players here who play for each other’
Video: Danny Shelton – ‘It was a good win; we definitely have a lot more difficult games coming up’
BSJ Game Report: Patriots 17, Eagles 10 – Defense (as usual) gets New England back in win column
NFL Notebook: Offensive onus will be on Tom Brady down the stretch, can he still bear that burden?
Missing ‘the controllables’: How the Celtics 10-game winning streak came to an end
BSJ Game Report: Kings 100, Celtics 99 — Winning streak ends at 10 as C’s fall short in crunch time
NBA Notebook: Carmelo Anthony gets one more chance, but will it matter for reeling Blazers?
Against Capitals’ rare blend of speed & size, Charlie McAvoy ‘took the challenge head on’ and shut down the Ovechkin Line
NHL Notebook: A cap-strapped & floundering Maple Leafs club has failed to follow Bruins’ blueprint for success
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
8 p.m.: NBA — Portland at Houston (NBATV)
8 p.m.: NBA — Boston at Phoenix (NBCSB)
8:15 p.m.: NFL — Kansas City at LA Chargers (ESPN)
[table id=224 /]
Need help? See a typo? Problems with your account? Let us know at email@example.com.