A few random thoughts while I wonder if Andrew Luck-like retirements will become more the norm...
- A few housekeeping items on the Patriots as they had a somewhat busy Sunday. WR Maurice Harris and DE Keionta Davis were waived with an injury designation meaning they will revert to IR (with a possible injury settlement) if they clear waivers.
- Harris at one point was the team's most productive receiver during practices, but then he found himself behind N'Keal Harry (still not practicing) and a lower-body injury in practices with the Titans put him further behind as several veterans returned to the roster.
- Special teams LB Brandon King was placed on injured reserve.
- Josh Gordon passed his physical so he's now on the active roster. RB Robert Martin (another Rutgers guy) and LB Scooby Wright, a 2016 seventh-round pick of the Browns. Both are filling holes in the roster so they can get through the preseason finale.
- My offensive and defensive breakdowns from the Panthers game.
- Andrew Luck's decision was a real stunner. I broke it all down from a Patriots and NFL perspective.
- Can't believe Jacoby Brissett is going to steward an AFC contender. That's a good team.
- Thanks to Brian Johnson giving up three runs in the first inning AGAIN, the Red Sox dropped a chance to pick up a game in the wild-card race AGAIN.
- Thought Don Banks' memorial service/celebration at Fenway on Saturday was perfect. He was probably having a big chuckle, with his shoulders moving up and down, watching us all fete him at one of his favorite haunts. You'll be missed, Donnie. You already are. But we all carry you with us.
Time to hit the links...
Bedard’s Breakdown (Defense): Mike Pennel comes to play; is it too late?
BSJ Live Q&A: Bedard on Patriots, roster decisions and the NFL, Noon Monday
NFL Notebook: How Andrew Luck’s stunning retirement impacts the Patriots
Bedard’s Breakdown (Offense): Jarrett Stidham provided evidence for and against him being Patriots’ lone backup QB
McAdam: Brian Johnson’s first-inning struggles keep putting Red Sox in hole
BSJ Game Report: Padres 3, Red Sox 1 – Sox fall behind early, can’t catch up
MLB Notebook: Injuries to Red Sox starters underscores another problem with faulty spring training plan
Sweeney: On Saturday night, Gustavo Bou delivered what might be the signature goal of the 2019 season
Sweeney: Put a trip to Gillette next Saturday in your calendar, plus three other takeaways from the Revs’ 2-1 win
Noon: Tennis — US Open (ESPN)
Noon: BSJ Live Q&A — Bedard on Patriots/NFL
7:05 p.m.: MLB — Cardinals at Brewers (ESPN)
10:10 p.m.: MLB — Yankees at Mariners (ESPN)
[table id=224 /]
Have a tournament, kid...
Need help? See a typo? Problems with your account? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.