A few random thoughts while I wonder if the Red Sox will want to stay in Canada for a long while...
- Really busy day for the Celtics as they welcomed aboard Vincent Poirier, Daniel Theis and Brad Wanamaker. Unless Danny Ainge does something crazy, the Celtics are likely done.
- I like the team. Certainly more fun than last season. Ceiling may not be as high, but I'm betting Brad Stevens loves this squad. The pressure is off him now, that's for sure.
- For Red Sox — England: bad. Canada: good. Glad to see that the lumber they showed off in England has a good exchange rate in Canada. Rafael Devers is absolutely en fuego since being moved from the 2 hole.
- Andrew Benintendi's lack of production near the top of the lineup has to affect his contract talks down the road, right? And the 5 spot is not great for him either.
- Debuted a new series that projects the plan for the Patriots' rookies (and some second-year players). First up, N'Keal Harry. Another installment coming today.
- Thought that was a terrible offsides call for the US against England. Goal should have counted. But what a shock ... England choked on a PK in a huge World Cup game. Never seen that before.
- Crystal Dunn is a wet blanket on defense. US was really leaky down the middle in that game. I'm looking at you, Abby Dahlkemper and Lindsey Horan. Good to see Ali Krieger get a chance to solidify things at the end.
- Site news: Christopher Price announced his time at BSJ is at an end. I'm not quite ready to say that yet — he'll always have a home here — but we'll see what happens. As I've long said, we're constantly evaluating things and searching for ways to be more effective and efficient. The Patriots are the No. 1 beat here by far and we need to cover them aggressively. Our plans for the new season are not set in stone, but I will definitely be writing more about the team on a daily basis — which is what many readers have been asking for. Chris is a first-class person and we wish him and his family nothing but the best.
Time to hit the links...
Resetting the Celtics roster after Brad Wanamaker signing
Live Q&A: B-Robb on Celtics/NBA at 5 p.m.
Five takeaways from Celtics summer league workouts
Analysis: Celtics agree to two-year deal with Daniel Theis for $10 million
Vincent Poirier agrees to two-year contract with Celtics
McAdam: For all the Red Sox’ problems, offense isn’t one of them
BSJ Game Report: Red Sox 10, Blue Jays 6 – Sox erupt in first, put away Jays
McAdam: Moving Nathan Eovaldi to the bullpen reeks of desperation
3 p.m.: Women's World Cup — Semifinal: Sweden vs. Netherlands (FS1)
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — B-Robb on Celtics/NBA
7:07 p.m.: MLB — Red Sox at Blue Jays (NESN)
[table id=224 /]
Need help? See a typo? Problems with your account? Let us know at email@example.com.