A few random thoughts while I wonder what kind of vengeance the Lightning will come out with for Game 2...
- In case you missed it last night, the Stanley Cup playoffs started with a bang when the "Best Team Ever" Lightning blew a 3-0 lead at home and lost 4-3 to the Blue Jackets.
- I wouldn't laugh too hard yet. The Bruins beat Tampa 6-2 in Game 1 last year and then proceeded to have the oxygen smothered out of them in four-straight games.
- In any event, the Bruins and Leafs finally go toe to toe tonight at the Garden. Unless Boston really craps the bed in the back, I have a hard time seeing Toronto winning this series when they still have a top D pairing of Morgan Reilly and terrible Ron Hainsey.
- Like the Bruins in six.
- Celtics series schedule was finally released. They'll start with the old Sunday-Wednesday double billing at the Garden. Have to love the NBA.
- No way around it: the loss of Marcus Smart is huge for the Celtics — he's the guy who does the necessary dirty work that is especially important in the postseason — but it likely won't hurt too bad in the first round.
- Patriots are starting to do what they always do: plug holes before the draft because they don't want to tip their hand. It started with TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, and could continue with WRs Demaryius Thomas and RB T.J. Yeldon (both visited). All three would check off "needs." That's the Patriots' M.O.
- When it comes to Seferian-Jenkins on the field ... ignore the 2018 film. The '17 version of ASF has a chance to help the Patriots.
- Seferian-Jenkins is a previous violator of the league's substance abuse policy, joining current teammates Josh Gordon and Mike Pennel (multiple violations for them). Might be a good time to lock up that Jack Easterby replacement to make sure a proper program is in place for those guys.
- Frozen Four tonight! Providence in Game 1 at 5, UMass in the nightcap.
Time to hit the links
Film Room: Ignore Austin Seferian-Jenkins from 2018 – the ’17 version has a chance with Patriots
Bill Belichick talks Patriots 2019 draft strategy, wide receivers, coaching staff, and more
What does TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins bring to the Patriots?
Who will Brad Stevens turn to without Marcus Smart?
Robb: Kyrie Irving offers an encouraging tone after overdue mea culpa
Celtics Notebook: Jayson Tatum expects to play Game 1, Marcus Smart’s timeline remains uncertain
Why Magic’s bizarre departure from Lakers is bad news for the Celtics
BSJ Live Q&A: B-Robb on Celtics/NBA at 9 a.m. Thursday
Once buried in Bruins’ prospect pipeline, Connor Clifton can make a major statement against Leafs
Video: Patrice Bergeron previews Bruins/Leafs series
BSJ Live Q&A: Conor Ryan on Bruins/Leafs and NHL playoffs, Thursday at 6 p.m.
When it comes to capitalizing against Leafs, Bruins are ready to keep a low profile
9 a.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — B-Robb on Celtics/NBA
3 p.m.: PGA — The Masters (ESPN)
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
5 p.m.: MCHK — Frozen Four: Providence vs. Minnesota-Duluth (ESPN2)
6 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Conor Ryan on Bruins/NHL
7 p.m.: NHL — Maple Leafs at Bruins, NBCSN/NESN (Ryan)
7:10 p.m.: MLB — Blue Jays at Red Sox, NESN Plus (McAdam)
8:30 p.m.: MCHK — Frozen Four: UMass vs. Denver (ESPN2)
Other NHL Playoffs
7:30 p.m.: Carolina at Washington (USA)
10 p.m.: Colorado at Calgary (NBCSN)
[table id=224 /]
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.