A few random thoughts while I wonder what kinds of side deals the NBA players will cut this weekend in Charlotte...
- So as the All-Star Weekend arrives with the Rising Stars Game tonight, all eyes will be on Kyrie Irving this weekend. Will he play? Should he play? Who's he talking to?
- Obviously, the Celtics don't want to tick Irving off and have publicly given their blessing if he plays after sitting out the past two games (which the team won), so I would expect him to make an appearance.
- No, I don't think it's a great look just because of the timing of the whole thing, but I don't think it would be some huge controversy within the team — as long as he doesn't get hurt.
- Celtics have two huge games against the Bucks and Raptors right after the break. They need Irving healthy for those showdowns and for the stretch run as they try to make up some ground on both.
- Bruins start a West Coast swing tonight against the Ducks, so get a nap in and join in with Conor's coverage from out there.
- I took a look at Julian Edelman's contract status ... I just think with all the talk about everyone else's contract, the team should do right and give him a little bit of a bump. He's more than earned it, and I'm willing to bet he will continue to earn it. Plus, they have no other receivers.
Time to hit the links...
Bedard: Patriots should do right thing and give Julian Edelman a pay bump
BSJ Live Q&A: Bedard on Patriots, NFL and anything else, 8:30 p.m.
First and 10: What a difference a year makes
2018 Patriots positional snapshot: Special teams ends on strong note, but could change be coming?
Miguel’s Valentine’s Day mailbag: Questions on a possible Gronkowski retirement, an OBJ trade to New England, and more
Greg Schiano’s coaching philosophy shaped by twin mentors in Miello, Susan
California native Kevan Miller reflects on growth of hockey within The Golden State
Bruins Notebook: After slow start in pro hockey, Karson Kuhlman looking to carry momentum up to NHL; Grzelcyk gets closer
8 a.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — B-Robb on Celtics/NBA
2 p.m.: Golf — PGA: Genesis Open (Golf)
7 p.m.: MCHK — Boston College at UMass (NESN)
7 p.m.: MCBK — Harvard at Princeton (ESPNews)
7 p.m.: WCBK — Princeton at Harvard (NESN Plus)
7 p.m.: WCBK — Providence at Xavier (FS2)
8:30 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Bedard on Patriots/NFL
9 p.m.: NBA — Rising Stars Game (TNT)
10 p.m.: NHL — Bruins at Ducks, NESN (Ryan)
Noon: MCBK — Bucknell at Holy Cross (NESN Plus)
2 p.m.: MCBK — Xavier at Providence (Fox)
2 p.m.: MCBK — Fordham at Rhode Island (NBCSN)
3 p.m.: Golf — PGA: Genesis Open (Golf)
7 p.m.: MCHK — UMass Lowell at Providence (NBCSB)
7 p.m.: MCHK — Vermont at Northeastern (NESN)
7 p.m.: WCBK — Columbia at Brown (NESN Plus)
10:30 p.m.: NHL — Bruins at Kings, NESN (Ryan)
1 p.m.: WCBK — Duquesne at URI (NBCSN)
2 p.m.: WCHK — Providence at Northeastern (NESN)
3 p.m.: PGA: Genesis Open (Golf)
6 p.m.: MCBK — Miami at Boston College (ESPNU)
8 p.m.: NBA — All-Star Game (TNT)
[table id=224 /]
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.