A few random thoughts while I wonder which talking head will say the dumbest thing this postseason (Peter Schrager in the early lead!)...
- Chargers might be still in recovery mode, but the Patriots will be back on the field and all eyes will be on two players: Devin McCourty and Cordarrelle Patterson. This smoke-and-mirrors offense really needs Patterson at full strength.
- On the offensive side of the ball, the Patriots will need to be able to run, and Tom Brady will need to be vintage for Patriots to beat the Chargers.
- Mike Tanier took Brady to the statistical woodshed in this piece. Hard to argue with it, but I would say they're mostly an indictment on the passing game in general. But that also very much includes Brady.
- I think we have a new winner for most sensitive fanbase: Colts fans. So yesterday I sent out this tweet and the onslaught from people with Colts avatars and handles with GM Chris Ballard mixed in, was on:
- And, to be fair, media members like Chris Mortensen and Stephen Holder (covers the Colts) were quick to point out the role Chris Ballard played in hiring Matt Elberflus.
- I have no doubt Ballard had a role in hiring Elberflus, but if anyone thinks McDaniels was just going to install him as his DC as an offensive-minded head coach because Ballard said so ... then you're just drinking the Colts-flavored Kool-Aid from an organization that, after being spurned by McDaniels, won't ever give him credit for anything.
- Of course, there's also this straight from Elberflus to Peter King
- Ok Kyrie, you're in the clear for being the problem on the Celtics (I have my eye on Tatum).
- Marcus Smart ... sniper?
Time to hit the links...
Bedard: Tom Brady, Patriots offense will need to answer long-lingering questions to navigate Chargers
First and 10: Looking more and more like Josh McDaniels will stay with Patriots
Podcast: Bedard on Josh McDaniels with 105.7 FM in Milwaukee
Report: Patriots projected to receive four compensatory picks in 2019 draft
Stephon Gilmore on All-Pro berth: ‘Lot of hard work and dedication, week in and week out’
Video – Matthew Slater: ‘We’ve put in a lot of work to get to this point’
Through the years, Patriots-Chargers has almost always been interesting
Completed Q&A: Overreaction Monday – post wild-card edition – with Price 01.07.19
Is Marcus Smart turning into a respectable 3-point shooter?
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 116, Nets 95 — Kyrie leads the way in blowout win
Final: Celtics 116, Nets 95 — C’s cruise to third straight win
Celtics still aren’t getting to the free throw line: Why Brad Stevens is okay with it
2-4 p.m.: Bedard live in-studio with Felger & Mazz (Listen live)
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
7 p.m.: NHL — Wild at Bruins, NESN (Ryan)
Celtics: Wednesday, vs. Pacers; Thursday, at Miami; Saturday, at Orlando.
Bruins: Thursday, vs. Capitals; Saturday, at Toronto; Tuesday vs. Wild.
Like Peter and can appreciate saying dumb things live after talking for a while, but this has to be one of the dumbest things any NFL commenter has ever said.
Headline for my story in the Palm Beach Post the week Nick Saban last lost that bad (12/17/06 at Buffalo).
Dolphins would lose four of last five before Saban snaked off to Alabama.
"Hell, they may not want me here after this season," Saban said. "Did you ever think of that?"
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.