A few random thoughts while I wonder which team will be visiting Gillette next Sunday...
- Bruins had another entertaining affair last night as they beat the Flames 6-4 at the Garden. Man, that Flames team is a ton of fun to watch and has a lot of local connections to boot. But the Bruins kept turning back every challenge.
- Amazing the Bruins are on a 100-point pace. Bruce Cassidy was Alex Cora before Cora and without the highest-paid roster in the league. Of course, the Bruins are going to need to stay on that pace in a loaded division just to make the playoffs. No reason why they can't.
- Some quickie thoughts on this weekend's playoff games...
- Like the Colts to go into Houston and win a close one. The Colts defense has come a long way this season and they should be able to accomplish the No. 1 thing: keep Deshaun Watson in the pocket. But Andrew Luck is still very loose with the ball.
- The Seahawks will shut down the Cowboys' running game and make Dak Prescott beat them from the pocket. Russell Wilson will make enough plays to win.
- Chargers-Ravens could be an all-timer. Home field and the better defense will send Baltimore to Gillette.
- Eagles and Lane Johnson stop having fun as the Bears' defense dominates.
- I was going to write a column about Antonio Brown and the Patriots but I'm not going to waste your time. It's a clickbait dream, so there will be plenty of other sites around here to write about the possibility but don't click on them.
- The Patriots absolutely should replace Rob Gronkowski with Brown (they basically make the same amount) — I have no doubt the Patriots could handle Brown in the locker room. The guy practices hard, but he's a circus otherwise.
- But there is absolutely no way the Steelers would trade him to the Patriots, especially not at a cut-rate (like the Randy Moss and Josh Gordon trades). Doubt the Steelers release him — he'd become an unrestricted free agent — but even if they did, Brown would try to cash in again with a top contract and the Patriots won't go there. And many other teams have much more cap space.
Time to hit the links...
If Josh McDaniels leaves, Chad O’Shea’s football journey should have him ready to be Patriots’ new OC
First and 10: Patriots hit pause button for wild-card weekend
A few thoughts on Ty Law and Richard Seymour becoming Hall of Fame finalists
Podcast: Bedard on Felger & Mazz 01.03.19
Tom Brady: Story of 2018 Patriots ‘is still being written’
Video: Tom Brady on playoffs – ‘It’s an entirely new season’
Patriots Notebook: McCourty, Allen missing from start of Thursday’s practice
Video: Patriots kick off Thursday practice with defensive drills
The forecast for the Grizzlies pick is shifting in Celtics’ favor
Celtics Notebook: Kyrie Irving (eyes) ruled out vs. Mavs, Danny Ainge downplays trade possibilities
Big 3 Podcast: Hayward’s big night, All-Star candidates and trade talk
Completed Q&A: B-Robb on Celtics/NBA (1.3.18)
Ryan: Even amid injuries & inconsistencies, ‘rolling’ Bruins look primed for second-half run
BSJ Game Report: Bruins 6, Flames 4 – DeBrusk heats up, power play helps Boston outlast Calgary
Bruins will be without their Swiss Army Knife in Joakim Nordstrom for at least 3 weeks
Final: Bruins 6, Flames 4 – B’s outlast Calgary in slugfest at TD Garden
4 p.m.: PGA — Tournament of Champions (Golf)
4 p.m.: World Juniors — Semifinal: United States vs. Russia (NHLN)
7 p.m.: WCBK — Elon at Northeastern (NESN Plus)
7 p.m.: MCHK — Merrimack at UNH (NESN)
8 p.m.: NBA — Mavs at Celtics, NBCSB/ESPN (Robb)
8 p.m.: World Juniors — Semifinal: Switzerland vs. Finland (NHLN)
Noon: MCBK — UCF at UConn (ESPNews)
2 p.m.: MCBK — Villanova at Providence (FOX)
3 p.m.: WCHK — Princeton at Dartmouth (NESN Plus)
4 p.m.: PGA — Tournament of Champions (Golf)
4 p.m.: World Juniors — Bronze-medal game (NHLN)
4:35 p.m.: NFL — AFC Wild Card Playoff: Indianapolis at Houston (ABC/ESPN)
7 p.m.: NHL — Sabres at Bruins, NBCSB (Ryan)
7 p.m.: MCHK — Merrimack at Northeastern (NESN Plus)
7 p.m.: MCHK — Princeton at Dartmouth (NBCSB)
8 p.m.: World Juniors — Gold-medal game (NHLN)
8:15 p.m.: NFL — NFC Wild Card Playoff: Seattle at Dallas (FOX)
11 a.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Bedard on Patriots and everything else
1:05 p.m.: NFL — AFC Wild Card Playoff: LA Chargers at Baltimore (CBS)
2:30 p.m.: PGA — Tournament of Champions (Golf)
4:40 p.m.: NFL — NFC Wild Card Playoff: Philadelphia at Chicago (NBC)
This Torey Krug pass was insane.
Find a typo? Need help? Let us know at email@example.com.