A few random thoughts while I try to figure out how the Patriots are going to finish this regular season...
- The NFL announced the Pro Bowl rosters, and Stephon Gilmore and Tom Brady were the only picks for the Patriots.
- First of all, just want to point out that this opening roster, before everyone begs out with "injuries," is the only one that counts. Injury replacements are not Pro Bowlers. It takes away from the meaning of the accomplishment, which should be to identify the best players in each conference.
- Gilmore definitely deserved his pick. Brady ... I don't have a beef with that. It was basically between Brady and Andrew Luck, and Brady comes out better in several stats.
- My Patriots snubs: Shaq Mason, Lawrence Guy, Trey Flowers.
- Is there a talent drain on the Patriots? You could argue that. Brady's 41. Gilmore was imported from the Bills. As far as homegrown Pro Bowl potential, I'd go with these players in the next year or so: Mason and Flowers if he's re-signed (good look by Miguel here) ... and that's it. I think J'Whaun Bentley and J.C. Jackson have that potential, but that's a big projection. Bit of an issue.
- Celtics will roll out the red carpet for the 7-24 Suns tonight ... well, that's an early Christmas present.
- I'm enamored with Timelord.
- ATTENTION BSJ MEMBERS: Your gift special is now operational. Thanks for spreading the word!
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
Easy printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Time to hit the links...
Patriots’ coaches talk decision-making, offensive execution, and end-of-game situation vs. Steelers
First and 10: Pro Bowl berths announced as Patriots start gearing up for Buffalo
Podcast: Bedard on Felger & Mazz 12.18.18
NFL Power Rankings, Week 16: As playoffs loom, a Christmas wish for each team
Miguel’s Mailbag: Crafting a fair deal for Trey Flowers
Celtics player power rankings: Robert Williams is on the rise
Celtics Notebook: Al Horford remains out for Suns game, Jaylen Brown (wrist) questionable for Wednesday
Why Jabari Bird’s roster status remains murky after latest court appearance
With NHL’s holiday roster freeze approaching, Bruins make a pair of minor moves
Live Q&A: Conor Ryan on Bruins/NHL, Wednesday at 5 p.m.
A bounce-back effort from Charlie McAvoy pays major dividends as Bruins blank Habs
11 a.m.: WCBK — Holy Cross vs. Manhattan (ESPN)
5 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Conor Ryan on Bruins/NHL
7:30 p.m.: NBA — Suns at Celtics, NBCSB/NBATV (Robb)
8 p.m.: CFB — Frisco Bowl: San Diego St. vs. Ohio (ESPN)
8:30 p.m.: WCBK — UConn at Oklahoma (FS1)
S I D
L T O
W N pic.twitter.com/vMSWvD1Yto
— Boston Celtics (@celtics) December 18, 2018
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.