PITTSBURGH — It's the morning, it's not good after a Patriots loss, especially their second-straight in December with playoff positioning on the line.
A few random thoughts before we get ready to make the trek back to New England ...
- I still can't believe how many chances the Patriots had to take that game from the Steelers and ... they ... just ... couldn't ... do ... it.
- I don't think Tom Brady was trying to throw that ball away. I think he was trying to give Rob Gronkowski and/or Julian Edelman a chance to make a play and Brady thought there was next to no chance the Steelers would wind up with it. Then Joe Haden happened.
- I think the film will show that the offensive line, besides all the penalties (which looked pretty legit), had a pretty poor game. David Andrews, a captain, declined to speak after the game, as did more than a few Patriots. Andrews slammed his towel down in front of his stall. He's been really good this season but he came up a pressure on the final play. The Patriots had a hard time blocking Stephon Tuitt.
- Like I said in training camp ... J.C. Jackson is an emerging star. That kid gets better every time he takes the field.
- The defense definitely played well enough to win and the offense was responsible for this loss.
- Patrick Chung and Julian Edelman may be two of the toughest players I've ever covered. Both are just toughing it out at this point. Chung's left arm looks like it's hanging on by a string.
- It was Pittsburgh's day on a Pittsburgh day: it was cold, muddy and gray ... exactly the way you picture Western Pennsylvania during football season.
- Patriots fans will be big Eagles/Nick Foles fans next weekend. Quite a role reversal but New England needs Philly to knock off the Texans to get the bye back.
- Why can I just picture the Patriots winning convincingly (at home, of course) in the final two games against the Bills and the Jets, the Texans blowing the bye and all of New England jumping back on the bandwagon hardcore?
- I mean, no one in the AFC will be blowing anybody's doors off but that also includes these Patriots. They might catch fire and make it to the Super Bowl, but it's not because they turn into THE PATRIOTS. It will be because they just cleaned a lot of bad stuff up ... finally.
- Bruins lost to the new-look Sabres and now head to Montreal after falling to the Penguins on Friday night. Tough little stretch here.
- ATTENTION BSJ MEMBERS: Your gift special is now operational. Thanks for spreading the word!
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
Easy printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Time to hit the links...
Bedard: Steelers kept gift-wrapping this game but these Patriots couldn’t even get that right
Road woes continue to dog Patriots’ offense
#StayCovered Defensive Play of the Game: Duron Harmon’s two INTs
Live Q&A: Overreaction Monday with Price, 2 p.m.
BSJ Game Report: Steelers 17, Patriots 10 – Offense fails again on road
Podcast: Bedard on Steelers loss with Patriots Postgame Show 12.16.18
Stephon Gilmore calls Antonio Brown ‘super dirty’ for helmet move
Video: Tom Brady on INT – ‘Just trying to flick it out of bounds, not take a sack, can’t happen’
Video: Bill Belichick – ‘Penalties and the red area, that was pretty much the difference in the game’
Video: Rob Gronkowski – ‘Just got to make more plays on the road to get a win in a game like this’
Video – Sony Michel: ‘We’re made for moments like this, to keep fighting’
Video – Julian Edelman: ‘I definitely thought we were going to win’
Steelers upend Patriots 17-10 as New England drops its second straight on the road
Bedard: It’s time for that great quarterback to show up to stay, Tom
NFL Notebook: After all this time, are Steelers still closest thing to an AFC counterpoint for Patriots?
Photo gallery: Adam Richins’ top shots from Patriots-Steelers
On night where attempts, possession favored Bruins, Sabres’ ‘best players out played ours’
BSJ Game Report: Sabres 4, Bruins 2 – B’s can’t keep up with Sabres’ top line
With Patrice Bergeron nearing return for Bruins, could a major lineup shuffle be in the works?
Final: Sabres 4, Bruins 2 – Eichel dominates in return to TD Garden
NHL Notebook: Even with all the stitches and loose teeth, Bruins don’t expect full-time facemasks any time soon
2 p.m.: BSJ Live Q&A — Chris Price's Overreaction Monday
7 p.m.: NHL — Bruins at Canadiens (NESN)
8:15 p.m.: NFL — Saints at Panthers (ESPN)
We're all Bruce Cassidy today...
Need help? See a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.