A few random thoughts while we wait for the Astros' Wagon to get into town...
- Hope you checked out Miguel's cap story. It's very important if you're a Patriots fan.
- I think we've all gotten used to the Patriots basically being able to do whatever they wanted personnel-wise near the trade deadline because they've always, smartly, left themselves wiggle room with the cap. That didn't seem to be the case this season, so I asked Miguel to look into it and report back. That's exactly what he did, in straight-forward fashion. Just the facts ma'am.
- Basically, unless the Patriots do something totally out of character for them — the kind of short-sighted financial tricks we've laughed at other teams for doing and have hurt those other teams — they're broke this season. They're so broke they're going to have to do some things just to meet payroll by the end of the season.
- It seemed no one else was talking about this, so I asked Miguel to signal the alarm now — if he found that was indeed the case — so his brethren could be informed on what's going on.
- Part II will delve in what the Patriots can do to create more cap room, and what Miguel thinks the Patriots will do.
- Looking forward to the Bruins taking on Connor McDavid, Milan Lucic and the Oilers tonight. Edmonton has played one game so far (5-2 loss to the Devils).
- How is it that four NHL teams have played just one game? Seven teams have played four. That makes no sense.
- Red Sox get back at it with media/workout at Fenway this afternoon. Time to turn the page to the ALCS. A lot of unfinished business. Beating the Yankees is always great and an accomplishment, but the Red Sox were better than them and Boston took care of business. The Astros are the challenge.
Checking in on the Astros
(BTW, if there's a poster child for terrible media websites, it has to be the Houston Chronicle. It makes the Boston Herald's site look fast)
Time to hit the links...
Part I: Patriots are up against the cap earlier than ever – what that means and how they got here
First and 10: Rob Gronkowski knows how New England fans will manage Sunday
Video: Rob Gronkowski talks about the Chiefs and the comparisons to Travis Kelce
Patriots could lean on a familiar formula when it comes to trying to stop Pat Mahomes, Chiefs
Patriots Notebook: Perfect attendance again at start of Wednesday’s practice; Gronkowski (ankle) and Michel (knee) among 9 limited
Patriots anticipate seeing Andy Reid and Kansas City lean on RPOs Sunday night
Bruins notes: Joakim Nordstrom likely back in lineup, B’s brace for matchup with McDavid
Video: Bruce Cassidy previews Bruins’ home matchup against Oilers
Completed Q&A: Conor Ryan on Bruins’ 1st week of regular-season play, 5 p.m. Wednesday
1 p.m.: Red Sox media availability (McAdam)
2 p.m.: Red Sox workout at Fenway (McAdam)
7 p.m.: NHL — Oilers at Bruins, NESN (Ryan)
7:30 p.m.: Men's soccer — US vs. Colombia (FS1)
8:20 p.m.: NFL — Eagles at Giants (FOX/NFLN)
Game 1: Saturday, 8:09 p.m., at Boston
Game 2: Sunday, 7:09 p.m., at Boston
Game 3: Tuesday, 5:09 p.m., at Houston
Game 4: Oct. 17, 8:39 p.m., at Houston
Game 5: Oct. 18, 8:09 p.m., at Houston*
Game 6: Oct. 20, 5:09 p.m., at Boston*
Game 7: Oct. 21, 7:39 p.m., at Boston*
*- If necessary.
All games on TBS