A few random thoughts while contemplating whether or not Danny Ainge and Marcus Smart took in a Vegas show together...
- So, as you probably read, I took the pulse around the league to see what the feelings are whether or not Rob Gronkowski could be available in an August-September, Bill Belichick surprise trade.
- Basically, the feeling is that they haven't ruled it out. The rest of the league will do that, as soon as the Patriots officially do something about his contract.
- That his contract hasn't been done yet is a bit unusual. Usually, the way these things work is that contracts are taken care of in May or June before everyone goes on vacation (and there were reports a contract seemed to be close). Rarely is there work done on contracts from late June through mid-July (everyone's on vacation).
- If you're a Patriots fan, you're hoping something is announced right before camp starts because then things could get dicey. That would bring the possibility of Gronk not reporting to camp into the equation.
- But that's down the road. I haven't heard anything — other than the contract not done yet — that would indicate there's some huge problem, but other teams are taking notice.
- Personally, I think something gets announced the day or two before camp starts (could happen the morning of the first workouts on July 26 because deadlines spur action).
- So Marcus Smart was in Las Vegas, and Danny Ainge had some fun with his hat. I mean, I hope that's a good sign.
- I understand Smart has been disappointed in free agency so far, but that's the way it goes in any sport if the agent isn't being completely honest with the player and gets his hopes up. That Smart was talking about some megadeal even before the season was over shows he wasn't exactly getting the right information.
- B-Robb has been writing for months Smart was going to find a tepid market due to the tight cap this year. But, it only takes one team to change the market, and maybe that one team is the Kings.
- I love what Smart brings to the team, but I'm not overpaying for him.
- Even though it's almost impossible to glean anything from this stretch of Sox games against wretched competition, Steve Pearce looks like a perfect fit, especially against lefties.
- Pearce reminds me a former Red Sox, but I can't place it. A righty Brian Daubach maybe? Somebody help me out.
Time to hit to the links...
McAdam: Red Sox, with the help of Steve Pearce, figuring things out against lefties
BSJ Game Report: Red Sox 5, Rangers 0 – Two homers help extend winning streak to 7
Live Q&A: Chat Red Sox and MLB with Sean McAdam Tuesday at 5 p.m.
Live Coverage: Red Sox 5, Rangers 0
Examining the Celtics’ options as Kings reportedly prepare offer for Marcus Smart
Vegas Notebook: Robert Williams dealing with leg condition, Kyrie Irving shooting for August return
Video: Brad Stevens talks Marcus Smart, summer league
Final: Celtics 100, Hornets 80 — Balanced effort helps C’s cruise without Williams (knee)
Big 3 Podcast: How will Marcus Smart stalemate end?
Will Celtics turn their attention to extending Terry Rozier in wake of Marcus Smart uncertainty?
2 p.m.: World Cup — Semifinal: France vs. Belgium (Fox)
5 p.m.: Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
7:10 p.m.: MLB — Rangers at Red Sox, NESN (McAdam)
Hope Holt's getting OT for all his work on this.