A few random thoughts while I try to figure out the ranking of sports couch weekends...
- This one is pretty good, but would probably have to go with 1) NFL divisional weekend, 2) March Madness opening weekend, 3) This one, 4) New Year's Day bowls, 5) Masters weekend
- Loving the World Cup TV schedule. Don't have to wake up at like 3:30 a.m. like Korea. Morning, Noon and afternoon games. Perfect.
- My pick: Germany to defend. The Germans are just so disciplined and tactical. Seems to play better over the long tournament.
- Man, Chris Sale was ticked off yesterday. And love how he was still unapologetic after the game.
- Does sweeping the Orioles count for anything? We'll see tonight in Seattle.
- BTW, if MLB continues on this path with so many teams not even trying, I wouldn't mind some talk of relegation. Orioles are just embarrassing..
- I wouldn't wish playing a U.S. Open course on my worst enemy.
- U.S. Open pick: Dustin Johnson. The world's most gifted player is hot at the right time.
- I want no part of Kawhi Leonard. Anyone who's an issue for the Spurs/Gregg Popovich probably isn't a guy you want to bank your franchise on.
THINK OF BSJ FOR FATHER'S DAY/GRADUATION GIFTS
Please keep BSJ in mind if you're looking for last-minute gift options for Dad or for a grad. You can literally purchase a gift sub two minutes before you leave to spend Sunday with Dad. And we all know someone who’s graduating this spring. Whether they’re going off to college or headed into the real world, they’re going to need to keep tabs on the Boston sports scene. What better gift than a BSJ subscription?
We’ve got crazy easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day. We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift e-mail you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don’t take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018
I've heard from some users that they're experiencing a glitch with the iOS app where commenting and voting are not working properly, or it's saying that you're not logged in but you are, in fact, logged in.
We're aware of the issue and an update has been submitted to Apple.
Until that's done, my recommended workaround is to view the site through a mobile browser. The experience is nearly the same because the app is browser-based. The issue doesn't appear there.
Thanks for your patience.
Time to get to the links...
First and 10: Vintage Scott Zolak (and The Karate Kid soundtrack) kickstarts Throwback Thursday
How was Patriots’ defensive leader Brian Flores shaped by his time as a player at BC?
What does Zack Martin’s new deal mean for the Patriots and Shaq Mason?
McAdam: After stumbling last weekend, Red Sox resume winning ones they should
BSJ Game Report: Red Sox 5, Orioles 1 – Sale, two homers allow Sox to complete sweep
Live Coverage: Red Sox 5, Orioles 1 – Sale, steamed, helps finish off sweep
Celtics release Las Vegas summer league schedule
Live Q&A: B-Robb on Irving, Kawhi, Celtics offseason at 5 p.m.
Celtics reportedly made an offer for Kawhi Leonard at trade deadline — should they go after him again?
2018 World Cup primer: Who’s advancing, and better yet, who’s winning?
World Cup TV schedule
Sweeney: Impatiently waiting for Revolution to shake road blues
BSJ Match Report: Revolution 2, San Jose 2 — Revs can’t dent the net in second half
Live Coverage: Revolution 2, San Jose Earthquakes 2 — Two dropped points in Cali
9:30 a.m.: Golf — US Open (FS1)
11 a.m.: World Cup — Russia vs. Saudia Arabia (FOX)
3:05 p.m.: MLB — Red Sox at Orioles, NESN (McAdam)
4:30 p.m.: Golf — US Open (FOX)
10:10 p.m.: MLB — Red Sox at Mariners (NESN)