A few random thoughts while a contemplate how much banked audio the Patriots have to make a Felger-esque postseason video (they could make about 100 from just ESPN)...
- Since when do two NCAA Sweet 16 games end after midnight? Those games are going way too late.
- Baseball's not the only sport with a length issue. No one's really talking about it, but the NHL is starting to have a big problem as well. The game never makes the DVR window. NHL games feel like they're 30 minutes longer than they used to be.
- The Patriots had a scout at the San Diego State pro day, where Johnny Manziel happened to also be throwing. If they have reason to believe he'll only go from One Patriot Place to his apartment, and if he has the capacity to play within the offense, I'd be in favor of the Patriots signing him. I saw him play in person vs. Alabama, I saw and heard what Nick Saban had to say about him ... Manziel has rare instincts for the position and I'd give it a shot with no promises.
- Celtics are on a nothing West Coast trip — the end of the season is interminable in the NBA — but always look forward to the Bruins playing against Tyler Seguin and the Stars. The former Bruins forward always has a little something extra for the B's, as he should.
- NCAA basketball and hockey are going on, but the best game of the day may be Jordan Spieth vs. Patrick Reed at the Dell Match Play. They tee off at 1:32 p.m. Hopkinton's Keegan Bradley needs a win vs. Chez Reavie (10:47 a.m.) to advance.
And away we go...
First and 10: Many mock drafts have one thing in common when it comes to Patriots
Bedard: Above all else, Patriots want control on edge of defense
Salary cap recap 03.22.18: Patriots end day with $10,963,858 in cap space
Patriots, OT LaAdrian Waddle agree on one-year deal
Where do AFC powers stand after first wave of free agency?
Agent: LB Marquis Flowers returning to Patriots on one-year deal
Analysis: Red Sox’ likely plan for Martinez could call for one regular to sit
Red Sox Notes: Wright’s knee passes test, but knuckler needs work; Kimbrel wows minor leaguers
Video: Spring Training Diary, Day 36
1 p.m.: Red Sox at Yankees, ESPN (McAdam)
2 p.m.: Golf — World Match Play (Golf)
3 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Greg Bedard on Patriots/NFL & BSJ.
8:30 p.m.: Bruins at Stars (NESN)
10 p.m.: Celtics at Trail Blazers (NBATV/NBCSB)
NCAA men's basketball
7:07 p.m.: Clemson vs. Kansas (CBS)
7:27 p.m.: West Virginia vs. Villanova (TBS)
9:37 p.m.: Syracuse vs. Duke (CBS)
9:57 p.m.: Texas Tech vs. Purdue (TBS)
NCAA men's hockey
3 p.m.: Michigan Tech vs. Notre Dame (ESPN2)
4 p.m.: St. Cloud State vs. Air Force (ESPNU)
6:30 p.m.: Providence vs. Clarkson (ESPNU)
7:30 p.m.: Minnesota State vs. Minnesota-Duluth (ESPN3)
1 p.m.: Astros at Red Sox, MLB Network/NESN (McAdam)
1 p.m.: Men's Lax — Dartmouth at Harvard (NESN Plus)
1:30 p.m.: MLS — New York City FC at Revolution (NBCSB)
2 p.m.: Golf — World Match Play (NBC)
1:30 p.m.: Women's Sweet 16 — Duke vs. UConn (ESPN)
3 p.m.: NCAA Division 2 championship — Northern State vs. Ferris State (CBS)
6:09 p.m. NCAA Elite Eight — Loyola Chicago (TBS)
8:49 p.m. NCAA Elite Eight — Florida State vs. Michigan (TBS)
1 p.m. NCAA regionals — BU vs. Cornell (ESPNews)
3:30 p.m. NCAA regionals — Princeton vs. Ohio State (ESPNU)
4:30 p.m. NCAA regionals — Michigan vs. Northeastern (ESPNews)
6 p.m. NCAA East Regional final — Notre Dame/Michigan Tech vs. Providence/Clarkson (ESPNU)
9 p.m. NCAA West Regional final — Minnesota State/Minnesota-Duluth vs. St. Cloud St./Air Force (ESPN2
1 p.m.: Red Sox vs. Twins, NESN (McAdam)
3 p.m.: Golf — World Match Play (NBC)
7:30 p.m.: Bruins at Wild (NBCSN)
Noon: Women's regional final (ESPN)
2 p.m.: Men's regional final (CBS)
4:30 p.m.: Men's regional final (CBS)
7:30 p.m.: Women's regional final (ESPN)
4 p.m.: Northeast Regional final (ESPN2)
6:30 p.m.: Midwest Regional final (ESPNU)
Pretty good spot there, Bruins. Listen to no one ... except when they say something we could use in a marketing campaign later, then it's ok 😉
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) March 22, 2018
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018