A few random thoughts while this latest nor'easter was, thankfully, a dud...
- Both Bill Belichick and former defensive coordinator Matt Patricia were all over the Georgia pro day and, specifically, OLB/DE Lorenzo Carter, who may be there when the Patriots pick late in the first round. He's 6-6 and 250 pounds, and fits exactly what they do — like a less flexible and twitchy Chandler Jones.
Lorenzo Carter will be drafted much higher than he should, but at 6-6, 250, he's a very nice project to work with. pic.twitter.com/Lhs8NI4Tsw
— J.R. (@JReidDraftScout) March 21, 2018
Rep from OLB Lorenzo Carter pic.twitter.com/bMMBPcsIKn
— DawgPost (@Dawg_Post) March 21, 2018
- The Bruins fell in overtime in St. Louis, but the point got them to 100 for the season and they clinched a postseason berth.
- Everyone is holding their breath to see what Kyrie Irving and the Celtics decide about his knee. I'm starting to think season-ending surgery might be the best course. Are they going to win the title this year? No. I'd rather concentrate on 2018-19 with Gordon Hayward back, the younger players a year better and perhaps another big piece in the fold.
- Brock Holt said he stunk last season. I'm glad we can all agree on one thing.
- Danny Hurley is reportedly bolting Rhody for UConn. Stinks that he's leaving after really building a good thing in Kingston, but it's hard to pass on the Huskies, who are still one of the crown jewels in college hoops. Hopefully, Rams AD Thorr Bjorn can make the right hire to keep that program going in the right direction.
A couple of other notable developments:
BSJ Analytics: We have debuted a new feature at BSJ that I want to get rolling on and expand: BSJ Analytics. A couple of examples are here and here. Ideally, we'd have a weekly column on each of the four sports. So if this is your area and you'd like to get involved, send us samples of your writing and ideas for future columns to email@example.com
New England Revolution: The Revolution have started their season, but we're still going over our options on them. No, this isn't ideal, but it's a very long season and we're not going to rush anything to cover soccer in March. If you're interested in covering them for us, send me an email with your resume, clips and ideas for coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And away we go...
First and 10: Martellus Bennett on possibly returning, Patriots on Pro Day trail
Salary cap recap 03.21.18: Patriots end day with $10,558,238 in cap space
Adrian Clayborn on Erb’s Palsy, flirtation with retirement and what he brings to the edge
Updates on where things stand with some of the Patriots’ own free agents
First and 10: Welcome Back, Matthew Slater
Red Sox Notes: Return to good health a factor in Holt’s bounce-back spring; 3 things we learned
Some clues emerge as Red Sox sort through options for first turn through starting rotation
Video: Spring Training Diary, Day 36
Live Coverage: Red Sox 8, Rays 3
Dr. Flynn: On Kyrie Irving’s knee, and what could trigger season-ending surgery
Analysis: Jayson Tatum has busted through rookie wall in impressive fashion
Completed Q&A: B-Robb on Celtics/NBA 03.21.18
1 p.m.: Red Sox at Orioles, Ch. 25 (McAdam)
2 p.m.: Golf — World Match Play (Golf)
5 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Joe McDonald on Bruins/NHL.
Pretty good #ForTheCup
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) March 22, 2018
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018