A few random thoughts while I try to figure out if anyone realizes the Red Sox start their season a week from tomorrow...
- Another night, another ridiculous comeback from a Celtics team that has done this consistently, no matter who is on the floor. Of course, the Thunder was a little complicit with the free throws, but that was still a great victory against a team that actually needed a W.
- Nice job on the free throws, Carmelo. And some people wanted the Celtics to trade for that guy last season? No thanks.
- Readers of BSJ already knew the likely deal with Kyrie Irving's knee last week, before Tony Massarotti's little scoop on Tuesday, if you read B-Robb's story with Dr. Jessica Flynn.
- Dr. Flynn explained the whole deal, and I was cool with it then. It would be a huge upset if Kyrie Irving didn't play almost every postseason game, and therefore I'm also not going to panic about this.
- If Bill Belichick truly only wants to coach players he wants to coach down the stretch of his career, you can't do any better than Matthew Slater, who was re-signed. Like Nate Solder, people don't come much better than Slater and he's invaluable in the locker room. He's basically the moral compass.
- That being said, special teams players have diminishing returns due to the rule changes in the game and Slater will be 33 around the season opener, missed almost all of camp and seven games last year, so I'm guessing the Patriots protected themselves.
A couple of other notable developments:
BSJ Analytics: We have debuted a new feature at BSJ that I want to get rolling on and expand: BSJ Analytics. A couple of examples are here and here. Ideally, we'd have a weekly column on each of the four sports. So if this is your area and you'd like to get involved, send us samples of your writing and ideas for future columns to email@example.com
New England Revolution: The Revolution have started their season, but we're still going over our options on them. No, this isn't ideal, but it's a very long season and we're not going to rush anything to cover soccer in March. If you're interested in covering them for us, send me an email with your resume, clips and ideas for coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And away we go...
Salary cap recap 03.20.18: Patriots end day with $10,583,238 in cap space
Source: Matthew Slater agrees to two-year deal to return to Patriots
What does a potential return for OT Tony Garcia mean for the Patriots?
Three takeaways from the Tuesday afternoon conference call with Jason McCourty
First and 10: This is when the guts of NFL team-building really begins
Completed Q&A: Price on Patriots offseason 03.20.18
Alex Cora lines up his starters: Sale, Price, Porcello … and then what?
Red Sox Notes: Veteran starters push — and pull for — Eduardo Rodriguez; 3 things we learned
Video: Spring Training Diary, Day 35
Live Coverage: Red Sox 12, Pirates 6
Robb: Don’t panic about Kyrie Irving’s second opinion
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 100, Thunder 99 — Morris 3 caps miraculous comeback
Kyrie Irving to receive second opinion on sore left knee
Final: Celtics 100, Thunder 99 — Marcus Morris’ 3-pointer with 1.2 seconds left caps 6-0 run
1 p.m.: Red Sox at Rays, WEEI (McAdam)
2 p.m.: Golf — World Match Play (Golf)
5 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Brian Robb on Celtics/NBA.
8 p.m.: Bruins at Blues, NBCSN
So you're saying there's a chance...
Win Probability vs. Boston
OKC - Nov. 3 - 94.7%
Charlotte - Nov. 10 - 94.8%
Golden State - Nov. 16 - 96.4
Dallas - Nov. 20 - 98.0%
Indiana - Dec. 18 - 91.7%
Philadelphia - Jan. 11 - 95.0%
Portland - Feb. 4 - 88.5%
OKC - Tonight - 94.3%
The Celtics won all 8 of these games.
— Sean Grande (@SeanGrandePBP) March 21, 2018
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018