A few quick, random thoughts while I think about how great this weekend is for sports...
- I mean, you still have NFL free agency going on, and you know the Patriots are going to make a move or two.
- The NCAA tournament is in full swing. Providence is up soon, and will be looking to match its in-state rivals over at URI with first-round victories. Then you have Rhody and Danny Hurley vs. Duke and Coach K on Saturday. Love it. And vaguely familiar.
- Hockey East semifinals kickoff tonight with a couple of titanic matchups: BC vs. BU, Providence vs. Northeastern.
- Tiger Woods is lurking at The Arnold.
- The depleted Bruins (too bad) have a huge measuring stick game on Saturday night in Tampa.
- Red Sox are starting to get tuned up for the season.
- Are you not entertained?
Few quick thoughts on the Patriots:
- Totally on board with Jason McCourty. Type of good, solid and reliable veteran you can always use. Have some questions about him in man coverage (caused Devin's move from corner to safety) but he'll have a role.
- Adrian Clayborn would be an upgrade if they sign him, but we thought the same thing about Kony Ealy. We'll see.
- Yes, some of the Patriots veterans are fed up with Bill Belichick — we've been talking about that for months. Still think it can be overcome but it makes for a weird dynamic around the team right now.
A couple of other notable developments:
BSJ Analytics: We have debuted a new feature at BSJ that I want to get rolling on and expand: BSJ Analytics. The first installment was on why the Bruins should target Ryan McDonagh at the trade deadline. Ideally, we'd have a weekly column on each of the four sports. So if this is your area and you'd like to get involved, send us samples of your writing and ideas for future columns to email@example.com
New England Revolution: The Revolution have started their season, but we're still going over our options on them. No, this isn't ideal, but it's a very long season and we're not going to rush anything to cover soccer in March. If you're interested in covering them for us, send me an email with your resume, clips and ideas for coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And away we go...
Analysis: Examining how Jason McCourty’s skills fit with the Patriots
Live Q&A: Bedard on Patriots/NFL free agency & BSJ, 3 p.m.
First and 10: Day Three of NFL free agency ready to roll
Salary cap recap 03.15.18: Patriots end day with $15,659,488 in cap space
Patriots offseason primer: Breaking down the roster and where the needs are
NFL Free Agency Live Coverage 03.15.18: Patriots acquire Jason McCourty, while Ebron, Clayborn draw attention from New England
BSJ Live Q&A: PatsCap on Patriots/NFL cap ramifications (continuous today)
First and 10: Day Two of free agency looms, Happy Birthday Teddy Karras
Chris Sale willing to trade strikeouts for stamina, durability and team success
Red Sox Notes: Thursday’s lineup could be seen again for opener; 3 things we learned
Video: Spring Training Diary, Day 30
Live Coverage: Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 5
McDonald: There are legit reasons (not excuses) why the Panthers shutout the Bruins
Video: David Backes discusses his match penalty against Panthers
BSJ Game Report: Panthers 3, Bruins 0 — Depleted lineup an issue for Boston
Video: Torey Krug discusses his injury and availability vs. Panthers
Live Coverage: Panthers 3, Bruins 0 — David Backes ejected, faces disciplinary action again
2 p.m.: PGA Tour — Arnold Palmer Invitational (Golf)
3 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Greg Bedard on Patriots/NFL & BSJ.
4 p.m.: Twins at Red Sox, NESN (McAdam)
5 p.m.: Hockey East semifinal — BU vs. BC (NESN Plus)
7 p.m.: Celtics at Magic (NBCSB)
8 p.m.: Hockey East semifinal — Providence vs. Northeastern (NESN Plus)
12:15 p.m.: Providence vs. Texas A&M (CBS)
12:40 p.m.: Cal State Fullerton vs. Purdue (tru TV)
1:30 p.m.: Marshall vs. Wichita State (TNT)
2 p.m.: Georgia St. vs. Cincinnati (TBS)
2:45 p.m.: Lipscomb vs. North Carolina (CBS)
3:10 p.m.: Butler vs. Arkansas (tru TV)
4 p.m.: Murray St. vs. West Virginia (TNT)
4:30 p.m.: Texas vs. Nevada (TBS)
6:50 p.m.: Kansas St. vs. Creighton (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: Bucknell vs. Michigan St. (CBS)
7:20 p.m.: Texas Southern vs. Xavier (TBS)
7:27 p.m.: Charleston vs. Auburn (tru TV)
9:20 p.m.: UMBC vs. Virginia (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: Syracuse vs. TCU (CBS)
9:50 p.m.: Florida St. vs. Missouri (TBS)
9:57 p.m.: New Mexico St. vs. Clemson (tru TV)
12:30 p.m.: PGA Tour — Arnold Palmer Invitational (Golf)
1 p.m.: Men's Lax — Brown at Harvard (NESN Plus)
1 p.m.: Rays at Red Sox, NESN (McAdam)
7 p.m.: Hockey East championship — BC/BU vs. PC/NU (NESN Plus)
7 p.m.: Bruins at Lightning, NESN (McDonald)
12:10 p.m.: Alabama vs. Villanova (CBS)
2:40 p.m.: Rhode Island vs. Duke (CBS)
5:15 p.m.: Buffalo vs. Kentucky (CBS)
6:10 p.m.: Loyola-Chicago vs. Tennessee (TNT)
7:10 p.m.: Seton Hall vs. Kansas (TBS)
7:45 p.m.: Ohio State vs. Gonzaga (CBS)
8:40 p.m.: Florida vs. Texas Tech (TNT)
9:40 p.m.: Houston vs. Michigan (TBS)
1 p.m.: Red Sox at Pirates, NESN (McAdam)
2 p.m.: PGA Tour — Arnold Palmer Invitational (Golf)
6 p.m.: Celtics at Pelicans (NBCSB)
Just weird and probably #toosoon.
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018