A few random thoughts while I try to figure out the over/under for driveway snow blows today (going with three)...
- So after releasing the final installment of Tom vs Time (more on that later today), Tom Brady went on The Colbert Show last night. Look, I understand that Brady gets paid to throw the football and being a pitchman isn't exactly his forte, but man he comes off weird in these settings when he's trying to talk about the TB12 Method. Not sure a talk show where the host is trying to generate laughs is the right setting. Maybe they should have led with the beer chugging thing.
- The Brady you see and hear talking about TB12 is not the Brady I've gotten to know a little over the years. Brady, and this is a testament to how long he's lasted around much younger players (Brett Favre stopped trying and moved his locker out of the room entirely), is just one of the guys in the locker room and with the media. He's a terrific buster of chops and you don't really see him as Tom Brady in the locker room, you see him as just a regular player.
- Bottom line is I don't think he's doing himself any favors in these interviews, but I'm not sure how else he should sell it. It's not like they can put Alex Guerrero out there. Maybe Brady should pass up the big $ and on the mass marketing, and just stick with the very active fitness community where his message would come across more normal.
- With this rate with the Celtics' injuries, B-Robb might have to suit up. And that's not ideal for anybody.
- Bruins get back at it tonight in Carolina as they start a three-game stretch against a Hurricanes team seven points out of the wild-card, Panthers who are three points out and the 100-point Lightning.
- Another year, another example of how nuts it is to rely on free agency to field a team.
- I mean, Sammy Watkins is going to get like $15 million per season? What's he ever done? Allen Robinson gets a deal from the Bears coming off ACL surgery. This is nuts.
- Case Keenum is the next QB for John Elway. I know the Patriots are quaking in their boots.
A couple of other notable developments:
BSJ Analytics: We have debuted a new feature at BSJ that I want to get rolling on and expand: BSJ Analytics. The first installment was on why the Bruins should target Ryan McDonagh at the trade deadline. Ideally, we'd have a weekly column on each of the four sports. So if this is your area and you'd like to get involved, send us samples of your writing and ideas for future columns to email@example.com
New England Revolution: The Revolution have started their season, but we're still going over our options on them. No, this isn't ideal, but it's a very long season and we're not going to rush anything to cover soccer in March. If you're interested in covering them for us, send me an email with your resume, clips and ideas for coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And away we go...
First and 10: Have you been legally tampered with yet?
Live Q&A: Talk Patriots, free agency with Price Tuesday at 3 p.m.
Patriots free-agent primer: 13 defenders to target on all three levels
Price talks Patriots free agency with Adam Jones of 98.5 The Sports Hub 03.12.18
LB Marquis Flowers drawing interest around the league as ‘legal tampering’ begins
Bob McGinn: Breaking down the Top 60 draft prospects, Part III
First and 10: Happy Birthday to Hightower, let the legal tampering period begin
Red Sox are off today.
3 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Chris Price on Patriots/NFL.
6:40 p.m.: NCAA First Four — LIU Brooklyn vs. Radford (tru TV)
7 p.m.: Bruins at Hurricanes (NESN)
8 p.m.: NIT — Vermont at Middle Tenn. St. (ESPNU)
8 p.m.: NIT — Boston College at Western Kentucky (ESPN3)
9:10 p.m.: NCAA First Four — St. Bonaventure vs. UCLA (tru TV)
— The Late Show (@colbertlateshow) March 13, 2018
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018