A few random thoughts from the weekend and week ahead while we prepare to dig out again ... from an even bigger nor'easter...
— Shiri Spear (@ShiriSpear) March 12, 2018
I mean, seriously, what the heck?! I'd like to have softball/baseball seasons at some point...
- Obviously, Rhode Island is the king of hoops in New England, as Providence and Rhode Island will represent the region in the Big Dance. The seventh-seeded Rams will take on No. 10 Oklahoma at 12:15 p.m Thursday in Pittsburgh. The 10th-seeded Friars will take on No. 7 Texas A&M on Friday at 12:15 p.m. in Charlotte.
- Harvard, Boston College, and Vermont are headed to the NIT.
- As far as hockey March Madness, Havard is still alive in the ECAC, and the Hockey East semifinals are set: BU vs. BC, Providence vs. Northeastern at the Garden on Friday night.
— Hockey East (@hockey_east) March 11, 2018
- On the women's side, both New England teams — BC and Northeastern — bowed out in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
- Totally agree with B-Robb: time to shut Kyrie Irving down and get him right for the postseason.
- Liked the Patriots picking up former Browns NT Danny Shelton. As long as he keeps his weight under control, he's even more of an unmovable object than Malcom Brown. No, he doesn't help the pass rush, but that shouldn't matter. Question is, how much is a two-down player worth after this season? Coaches in Cleveland liked him, just not a good fit for their defense at this point.
A couple of other notable developments:
BSJ Analytics: We have debuted a new feature at BSJ that I want to get rolling on and expand: BSJ Analytics. The first installment was on why the Bruins should target Ryan McDonagh at the trade deadline. Ideally, we'd have a weekly column on each of the four sports. So if this is your area and you'd like to get involved, send us samples of your writing and ideas for future columns to email@example.com
New England Revolution: The Revolution have started their season, but we're still going over our options on them. No, this isn't ideal, but it's a very long season and we're not going to rush anything to cover soccer in March. If you're interested in covering them for us, send me an email with your resume, clips and ideas for coverage to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And away we go...
First and 10: Happy Birthday to Hightower, let the legal tampering period begin
NFL Notebook: With Sherman and Talib gone, can Patriots still corner the market this offseason?
Bob McGinn: Breaking down the Top 60 draft prospects, Part I
Bob McGinn: Breaking down the Top 60 draft prospects, Part II
Salary cap recap 03.10.18: Patriots end day with $21,195,108 in cap space
Deconstructing Danny Shelton: How does defensive tackle fit in Foxborough?
Red Sox notes: Rick Porcello tries to get to the bottom of his first-inning struggles
Tzu-Wei Lin making a push for roster spot
Live Coverage: Orioles 7, Red Sox 3
Video: Spring Training Diary, Day 27
Robb: Celtics should wave white flag on top seed in wake of Kyrie Irving injury
BSJ Game Report: Pacers 99, Celtics 97 – Kyrie’s knee issue overshadows defeat
Live Coverage: Pacers 99, Celtics 97
NBA Notebook: Looking ahead to 2019 Kings pick for Celtics
Noon: NFL's legal tampering period begins; no official deals
1:05 p.m.: Red Sox at Blue Jays, WEEI (McAdam)
5 p.m.: BSJ Daily Live Q&A — Sean McAdam on Red Sox/MLB
Little Leaguers ... don't try this at home.
— Sam Dykstra (@SamDykstraMiLB) March 11, 2018
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.
Don't take my word for it:
@GregABedard My Mom says the BSJ subscription I gave my Dad is the best gift I’ve ever given him. He’s totally obsessed & talks you guys up to all friend & fam. Thanks for making me look good.
— Mandy Johnson Gilman (@MandyGilman) January 23, 2018