A few random thoughts while I try to keep my Tauntaun from freezing before I reach the first marker ...
- Man, was that some fun last night or what? It's like the Bruins and Celtics knew we were all locked inside by a fire and tried to keep us entertained.
- First, the Bruins came out smoking against their nemesis from Washington with a quick 2-0 lead. And all seemed glorious, but you knew Ovi and the Caps were going to wake up at some point. They always do against the Bruins.
- Then the Celtics started their game at home against the Rockets and quickly fall behind 12-0(!).
- Caps came back to tie it 2-2.
- The Celtics fall behind by 26. Brad Stevens got a technical. Cats and dogs, living together ... mass hysteria.
- Oh man, this isn't going well.
- David Backes scored his second to give the Bruins the lead.
- Bruce Cassidy makes a terrible challenge and it gives the Caps a power play.
- Celtics are chipping away.
- Doby ends up in his net as the Caps tie it and force overtime.
- Celtics are within single digits.
- I just have to say, that I absolutely love 3-on-3 overtime. It's must-see TV. Love the playmaking and the strategy.
- Oops, just noticed that Torey Krug hasn't been on the ice since he turned it over (again) with a man advantage. Overtime is Krug's thing. This is awkward.
- Going to a shootout in D.C.
- James Harden hits a 3 to quiet the crowd.
- Both the Bruins and Caps miss on their first two chances, but here comes Ovi and, of course, he scores.
- It's all good, though. Bruce Cassidy is surely going to have Charlie McAvoy take the third shot. Big Time Charlie is totally going to one-up Ovi and love very minute of it, and the Bruins still have Patrice Bergeron left...
- Who comes over the boards for the Bruins? RILEY NASH. Is Claude Julien secretly coaching the Bruins tonight in a Cassidy mask?
- Look, I get it. Nash has been hot and he's good in shootouts. But nobody loves a big stage more than Charlie. This was over-coaching. Uh, hello?
But he's a defenseman... pic.twitter.com/6FSxYpxw5S
— Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) November 23, 2017
Charlie McAvoy wires one home and the Bruins win in the shootout! pic.twitter.com/gsqGLMOsCY
— NHL Daily 365 (@NHLDaily365) December 22, 2017
- And Nash, predictably, misses the net. Thanks for coming.
- It was good for the Bruins to get a point, but that was a game they should have won. They just can't beat the Caps.
- Marcus Smart, less than 24 hours after B-Robb wrote this about him, goads Harden into not one, but two offensive fouls in the final 7.3 seconds to help the Celtics to an amazing comeback victory against Houston.
- As a person who led the Dual County League in charges drawn from 1990-92, Smart's actions made me feel warm inside.
- I'm one of the biggest Krug guys around, but Claud, err, Cassidy was totally right to bench Krug. Enough's enough.
- So, yeah, a great night of Boston sports viewing even if it wasn't another sweep. Let's do it again soon...
And away we go...
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 99, Rockets 98 — The evolution of a comeback for the ages
Video: Kyrie Irving on comeback win vs. Rockets
Video: Al Horford on the game-winner vs. Rockets
Video: Marcus Smart on drawing charges
Live Coverage: Celtics 99, Rockets 98
The Maine Red Claws traded for Anthony Bennett … what does that mean exactly?
Podcast: B-Robb on Johnston and Flynn talking Tatum and Smart
McDonald: Bruce Cassidy made right decision to bench Torey Krug
BSJ Game Report: Capitals 4, Bruins 3 (SO) — Krug benched
Live Coverage: Capitals 4, Bruins 3 (SO)
Completed Q&A: JoeyMac on the Bruins/NHL.
Bedard’s Breakdown: Bills game latest example of why Tom Brady needs his weapons back
Scouting Report: Jets have overachieved slightly this year, but still face tall order against Patriots
How much can Patriots players earn during the postseason?
Video: Matthew Slater talks about challenge of playing in cold weather
Get your questions in! Live Q&A: Bedard on Patriots, NFL and BSJ, 4 p.m.
9 a.m.: Belichick press conference (Bedard)
1:40 p.m.: Patriots availability (Bedard)
3 p.m.: World Juniors Hockey — USA vs. Canada at New Era Field (NHL Network)
4 p.m.: Live Q&A with Greg Bedard on the Patriots/NHL/BSJ.
Danny Amendola: It was cold as crap today.
— Christopher Price (@cpriceNFL) December 28, 2017
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it’s the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to a big-time Boston sports fan.