A few thoughts while we ready for our first snowfall of the season...
- Well, that was one impressive victory by the Bruins last night against a terrible Arizona team.
- Yes, the Coyotes are brutal right now, but that's a game the Bruins either lose or muddle through under Claude Julien. Under Bruce Cassidy, they won 6-1.
- When we write stories at BSJ, the goal is to bring the readers something unique each time. Actually, it's not a goal; it's a requirement. Whether that's analysis, opinion, institutional knowledge, quotes or news, I don't really care (although all of those things in one story is really the goal). But we have to bring something to the table. If we don't, why would people fork over their hard-earned money to read us?
- I've told the crew time and time again that they aren't at a game to chronicle the team, especially on the road. Others are there for that. You can sit on your couch (and we can save money) and chronicle the team. I don't want to read a recap. You don't want to read a recap. You're not going to pay for a recap. So use your experience, reporting skills and senses to go find something unique to the readers, or be their eyes and ears in places where TV and the internet isn't (and those places are dwindling by the day). And, to be honest, at times we've come up short in this approach, but everyone's trying to get better every day.
- But, man, Joe McDonald hit one out of the park — on "deadline" mind you (we don't have deadlines here, that's part of our edge — we stay as long as possible to get the best possible story) — today with his inside-the-game column about how the Bruins' top line developed their chemistry through a simple, kid-like drill at practice. Joe knows this because he's at practice and observing everything. He has the rapport with the players to get them to talk about it. And he knows the game as well as anyone. Then he put it all together and informed our readers. Whether you know hockey or not, you can read the story and appreciate it.
- And, most importantly, it's the type of story you can only get at BSJ. For a cup of coffee a month. And our members notice:
- Really well done, Joe. Now go get another one, and another.... 🙂
- I don't want to hear any complaints from any Patriots fans that me or Felger or whoever is too negative or blowing something out of proportion. Not after I read this headline in Philly this morning.
- The Eagles win nine games in a row, lose a game in Seattle, still have a four-game lead in the NFC East, and now they write about panic and trot out pictures of Rich Kotite and Ray Rhodes?! Really?!
- Ok, maybe that was Boston before 2004. Man, were we really that crazy then?
- Of course, we were. I'm just envisioning the Shaughnessy column ... that would have been out five days earlier.
- Man, we were all nuts.
- I love Philly.
Countdown to Pittsburgh: Review of Steelers-Colts — Tuitt, Heyward a handful
Scouting report: How does Miami’s approach change with Jay Cutler back at QB? Plus gameplan points
Rob Gronkowski’s teammates come to his defense: ‘He wouldn’t want to harm anyone’
Tom Brady taking advantage of longer week: ‘Getting a little extra treatment’
Patriots recently increased pay of seven practice squad players
Injury list lengthens for Patriots as four sit out, including Brady & Van Noy
McDonald: Bergeron, Pastrnak & Marchand found chemistry in a simple practice drill
BSJ Game Report: Bruins 6, Coyotes 1 — David Backes (2 goals) paces B’s
Live Coverage: Bruins 6, Coyotes 1 — Backes scores two goals en route to victory
Completed Q&A: Joey Mac on Bruins
11:30 a.m.: Bruins practice skate, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
9 a.m.: Bill Belichick press conference (Price).
12:45 p.m.: Patriots availability (Price).
5 p.m.: Live Q&A — Greg Bedard on Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
9:30 p.m.: Celtics at Spurs, NBCSN/ESPN (Robb)
— Eric Stangel (@EricStangel) December 8, 2017
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, does a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com