At the end of the day, the NFL did the right thing when I came to Rob Gronkowski's suspension. Originally I thought there was a good chance his suspension would be reduced to a fine due to Gronkowski's spotless record and immediate contrition, but the health of Tre'Davious White complicated the issue.
With White still in concussion protocol, and no way of knowing when or if he'll get out of it this week, there's simply no way the NFL could risk having Gronkowski on the field Monday night if White couldn't play for the Bills on Sunday.
And the bottom line, regardless of circumstances, is that Gronkowski tried to intentionally injure an opponent and accomplished that feat. That can't be tolerated in the NFL, no matter the history.
In the long run, this is good for Gronkowski. It saves him from being exposed to injury in a meaningless game against the Dolphins, and also takes the playing-time decision out of Bill Belichick's hands. Gronkowski shouldn't have even been in the game at that point against the Bills, and Belichick would probably do the same thing against the Dolphins. So in the end, this is the best thing for Gronk.
The NFL also got the JuJu Smith-Schuster and George Illoka suspensions correct. Again, intentional actions to injure an opponent, even though those were during the course of play.
Now, if we could just get the referees to do their job and eject these players in real time, and start holding the coaches responsible for their players' deplorable actions, then we'd be getting somewhere.
Rest in peace former Patriots coach Ron Meyer, who passed away at the age of 76. Meyer was best known as the coach that started SMU down the road to the death penalty in college football during his tenure from 1976-81, but he fled to the Patriots in 1982 where he coached 33 games in two-plus seasons (18-15). With New England, he was most remembered for the snowplow game.
And away we go...
Rob Gronkowski’s suspension upheld, TE will miss Miami game
NFL Power Rankings: An old (new) team takes over the top spot on our big board
Completed Q&A: Price on Patriots.
AFC Playoff Picture: Steelers, Patriots inch closer to December showdown
Tracking Patriots contracts incentives after Week 13
Podcast: Bedard on Felger & Mazz 12.05.17
Podcast: Price talks Patriots-Dolphins with Chris Wittyngham of WQAM in Florida 12.05.17
9 a.m.: Belichick press conference.
11 a.m.: Bruins practice, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
4:15 p.m.: Patriots/Tom Brady availability.
5 p.m.: Live Q&A — Brian Robb on Celtics/NBA.
7:30 p.m.: Mavericks at Celtics, NBCSB (Robb)
At first, I was a little surprised by this, and then I remembered that Dino was 26 years old as a rookie, and played like it.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, does a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Need help? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org