A few random thoughts while I contemplate whether or not the NFL will ever get it:
- The Celtics had 62 points in the first half against the Bucks last night. Breaking: That's pretty good.
- I still can't believe Jayson Tatum is 19. Can you imagine how good he'll be when he fills out?
- So, yeah, Anton Khudobin came crashing back down to Earth last night in Nashville.
- It wasn't all his fault. The Bruins weren't exactly spectacular.
- When you play two games in one week, like the Bruins will have done before Thursday's game, there's little excuse for the team to fall behind 4-0 to anyone. This team's lack of consistency is troubling.
- And I don't want to hear any excuses about youth or anything else (there have been enough excuses printed for this Bruins team). It's up to Bruce Cassidy and the veterans to make sure this team is ready to play. They weren't last night.
- Going to be interesting to see what happens with the Rob Gronkowski appeal. Normally if the NFL wanted him sat for a game, they would have suspended him for two games (like Danny Trevathan) in anticipation of the appeal, which almost always cuts the penalty in half if the player accepts responsibility and demonstrates remorse. But Tre'Davious White's injury complicates this one. It'd be bad optics if White is still in concussion protocol and his status is in doubt for this week while Gronkowski's penalty is reduced to a fine.
- Every time I think of Sunday, I keep coming back to this: What, exactly, where the Patriots doing on that drive? Gronkowski never should have been in the game. It was pointless.
- Watching last night's Steelers-Bengals game makes me wonder why anyone would play football, especially before high school (don't send me any Tweets or e-mails, I've heard all the arguments over the years).
- That was one of the ugliest displays of football I've ever seen.
- When players "perform" that way on the field, it feels pointless for any of us to fight the league 0n the players' behalf for player-safety issues.
- The referees are completely failing the game. I hope Gene Steratore and Walt Anderson lose possible Super Bowl assignments because they did not eject anyone from their respective games. DO YOUR JOB.
- After last night, and a Sunday night game against the rival Ravens, the Patriots will be getting the Steelers at the perfect time, not that it matters. And that's not excuse-making for the Steelers when they lose, those are facts.
And away we go...
The salary cap impact of Rob Gronkowski’s looming suspension
Screen game shows improvement against Bills, thanks in part to some fakery
Rob Gronkowski suspended for one game, will appeal: What’s next for TE, Patriots?
Bill Belichick mum on Rob Gronkowski’s fate
Jayson Tatum is on pace to be one of the most impactful rookies in NBA history
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 111, Bucks 100 — The offense keeps rolling
Live Coverage: Celtics 111, Bucks 100
The odds of the Celtics landing the 2018 Lakers pick are about to improve
Patriots, Bruins and Celtics are off.
We had the worst tackle attempt ever last night by the Bengals.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, does a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Need help? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org