A few random thoughts while we drive to New Era Field on a beautiful early December morning in upstate New York:
- Seriously, the weather is the best I've ever seen it for this time of year. Normally it's grey and more grey. Perfect football weather this morning.
- I'm almost stunned that Trey Flowers is out with a rib injury. Thought he was made of iron. Will be interesting to see what kind of pass rush the Patriots have without him. He's been the pass rush.
- Tuukka Rask's starting to heat up. Ok, you guys are all hockey geniuses. I'm still keeping my #RideTheDobby bumper sticker.
- Don't look now, but the Bruins are shaping up pretty good.
- Didn't think we'd have this problem, but the Celtics are starting to make this look too easy. Wonder if people start tuning out a little bit until the spring. I said a little bit, not a lot.
- I'm greatly enjoying this Marcus Morris "saga" (it's really not that bad, but whatever). It's obvious the Celtics are better with Aron Baynes in the starting lineup. Morris is better coming off the bench. He needs to deal with it.
- One thing to keep an eye on right now though with the Celtics is the defense. They've been experiencing a bit of a dropoff there as the offense has improved, which is probably some natural regression to the mean. However, we haven't seen them at their best at both ends of the floor yet simultaneously. Will be curious to see if Stevens can find the right mix for that in the coming weeks.
- Ben McAdoo may get fired tomorrow as Giants coach. That means the Josh McDaniels/Nick Caserio watch is officially on.
- Of course, if I'm the Giants, I'm starting with Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh. If Saban was ever going to jump back into the NFL, this is it. But I doubt it happens.
And away we go...
NFL Notebook: Poll reveals Ty Law’s Hall chances gaining momentum
Patriots downgrade two more for Sunday — what does that mean for the rest of the roster?
Apropos of nothing: Patriots cornerbacks ratings through 11 games
Patriots release DL Ricky Jean Francois
David Krejci’s presence vital to Bruins’ success
BSJ Game Report: Bruins 3, Flyers 0 — First shutout for Rask, goal for Spooner
Final: Bruins 3, Flyers 0
Analysis: Tuukka Rask was better vs. Lightning than you think, here’s why
The Celtics are quickly morphing into an elite offense
Video: Kyrie Irving, Al Horford on the Celtics hitting 20 wins
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 116, Suns 111 — The bench saves the day
Live Coverage: Celtics 116, Suns 111
1 p.m.: Patriots at Bills, CBS (Bedard, Price)
1 p.m.: PGA Golf — Hero World Challenge (NBC)
2 p.m.: Bruins practice in Nashville (McDonald)
NFL Boston TV
1 p.m.: Minnesota at Atlanta (Fox)
4:25 p.m.: Carolina at New Orleans (Fox)
8:30 p.m.: Philadelphia at Seattle NBC
McAvoy to Marchand. Man, I love the sound of that.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, does a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com