A few random thoughts while I wait to watch Lincoln-Sudbury regain its rightful throne on top of Division 2 high school football by beating the fighting Scott Zolaks from King Phillip tonight at Gillette:
- Tommy Point for Brian Robb, who did a deep dive for a couple days on why the Celtics were skidding a little bit. He came away thinking that the Celtics needed to insert more defense into their lineup and, low and behold, Brad Stevens did just that against the 76ers. The lesson here is: stick to the film and you'll see everything you need to know.
- But, sometimes you miss the obvious. Kicking myself for not checking back on my film notes from Dolphins-Patriots, which had this notation:
- And then the play was featured on NFL Turning Point (45 seconds in):
- The lesson here, as always, is I'm an idiot.
- Anyways, about that play: when players are asked to block on the move, they are often told to block the "first color" they see. But in some cases, like this one with Dwayne Allen, it makes no sense to block the first opponent because they're out of the play. But that's a tough decision to make on the fly. Allen did a great job letting Andre Branch take himself out of the play, and then putting a hat on Reshad Jones, one of the best safeties in the league. Turned a 4-yard gain in 22 yards.
- Kyrie Irving's been so good that his 36 points last night was almost boring.
- Not such an easy time when you have Al Horford in your face, huh Ben Simmons?
- The first round of Tiger Woods' comeback went well, with a 3-under par 69 at the Hero World Challenge. I'll wait to see how this plays out over four days. I'm really surprised at how Woods is still sporting a bulky frame. Figured he would have slimmed down a bit to keep the pressure off his back, but guess not.
And away we go...
Robb: Marcus Morris may not want to come off the bench, but the Celtics need him to
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 108, Sixers 97 — Irving erupts again
Video: Marcus Smart on his injury scare, Kyrie Irving on his big night
Live Coverage: Celtics 108, Sixers 97
Why the Celtics should consider shaking up their starting lineup
Scout’s Take: Three things for each team to focus on for Patriots-Bills
Failing screen test: Why are Patriots struggling with once-dependable part of passing game?
Tom Brady spotted at start of Thursday’s walkthrough
Patriots get three back at practice as prep continues for Bills
11 a.m.: Bruins practice, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
9 a.m.: Bill Belichick press conference
Noon: Live Q&A — Bedard on Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
12:30 p.m.: PGA Golf — Hero World Challenge (Golf Network)
1:30 p.m.: Patriots locker room
5 p.m.: MIAA Div. 3 Super Bowl — North Attleborough vs. St. John’s Shrewsbury (Gillette)
7:30 p.m.: MIAA Div. 2 Super Bowl — Lincoln-Sudbury vs. King Phillip (Gillette)
This shot was awesome but...
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
Looking for a quick, easy and valuable gift for that huge Boston sports fan in your life? BSJ has easy gift options, and it's the type of gift that gives every day.
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, does a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com