A few random thoughts while I try to avoid being benched for Geno Smith:
- Anybody else starting to get the feeling that the Red Sox are only "involved" in the Giancarlo Stanton trade talks to keep their fan base interested in an offseason that could very well end up being a whole bunch of nothing?
- Good reporting by Sean McAdam on this one. As someone said to me recently: "Who else am I going to trust on the Red Sox but Sean?"
- This is a really good story by Joe McDonald on the man known as "Goalie Bob" who is responsible for getting Anton Khudobin to the point that we're on the verge of a goalie controversy if Tuukka Rask doesn't start winning games (no matter what Joe says).
- Yes, he gets paid millions of dollars to play a kid's game, but this just isn't right:
- Eli Manning has done everything that franchise has asked of him and he delivered two Super Bowls. He doesn't deserve to be benched in the middle of the season for Geno Smith. If the Giants said they wanted to take a look at Davis Webb, then I could understand it. But Smith isn't going to be anyone's starting QB anywhere, so this is just humiliating Manning.
- That's like benching Tom Brady and starting Brian Hoyer (actually, that's not being fair to Hoyer — the Patriots would actually have a chance) while Kliff Kingsbury is inactive.
- Not to belabor the point about Tom Brady taking hits (because it's really a one-day topic of discussion in the middle of a stretch where the Patriots play no one) but, yes, as Mike Reiss points out, the number of hits Brady has taken this season is in line with previous years. But that doesn't take into account that last year, because of Brady's suspension, he only had one game left (he has five left this year), and the last time his body took 16 games of pounding, he was 38. He's 40 now. There's a difference.
And away we go...
NFL Power Rankings: Eagles remain best of the best, while Patriots, Steelers close behind
AFC Playoff Picture: Patriots, Steelers stay on collision course
Completed Q&A: Price on the Patriots and rest of NFL
Podcast: Bedard on Felger and Mazz 11.28.17
‘Goalie Bob’ is the man behind the so-called controversy
Bruins Notes: Marchand, Backes participating in full practice; Krejci, DeBrusk out for Wednesday
9 a.m.: Bill Belichick press conference
11 a.m.: Bruins pregame skate, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
5 p.m.: Live Q&A — B-Robb on Celtics/NBA.
3:30 p.m.: Patriots locker room (Price)
7:30 p.m.: Lightning at Bruins, NBC Sports Network (McDonald)
This was my impersonation of Josh McDaniels gamplanning for the Steelers .. and Go L-S!
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com