A few random thoughts while I get mentally prepared for Lincoln-Sudbury's Division 2 Super Bowl against King Phillip on Friday night at Gillette:
- We all know that I'm not the biggest NBA guy (I'm a long-time hoop head, but it's mostly colleges), but I didn't realize how much of a force the Pistons would be in the East this season. Of course, everything depends on health, but that's a very well-rounded team we saw beat the Celtics in their own backyard last night.
- Two things that worry me the most about the Pistons: Avery Bradley continuing to be Kyrie Irving kryptonite (duh, but a minus-28 last night? Wow), and the Celtics not having anyone who can negate Andre Drummond.
- OK, now I get why the Celtics and many fans didn't want to part with Bradley in the offseason. That guy is just a spectacular defender. But you gotta give something to get something. I think the Celtics will be OK with their team defense.
- I'm going to miss The Fist.
- I think the Patriots will most likely stand pat at backup tight end after Martellus Bennett went on IR, but I think people are fooling themselves if they don't think the offense will take a little bit of a hit (it wasn't as good on Sunday without Bennett as it was the previous two games). In just a short time, Bennett showed a lot of value in a) curtailing Rob Gronkowski's workload, b) taking some pressure off Dwayne Allen, c) giving Tom Brady, in the wake of Julian Edelman's injury, another quick/short pass option to take the heat off. The Patriots will still be fine, but, again, the margin of error has been chipped away a little.
- Prediction: Even without their two best special teams' players (Matthew Slater, Nate Ebner) the Patriots' will still be good on special teams.
And away we go...
Martellus Bennett (hamstring) to injured reserve, now what at backup tight end? (And Nate Ebner went on IR as well)
Notebook: Elandon Roberts provides surprise pass rush boost for Patriots
View from DKPittsburghSports.com: Steelers’ defense taking a bath in all this splash
Week 12 Patriots’ offensive and defensive statistics from PFF
Today's Live Q&A: Talk Patriots with Price at 1
11 a.m.: Bruins practice, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
11 a.m.: Patriots conference calls (Price)
1 p.m.: Live Q&A — Price on Patriots/NFL
2-4 p.m.: Bedard in studio with Felger & Mazz (Listen live)
3 p.m.: Patriots locker room (Price)
That's a big boy doing that. Pretty impressive last night.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
Tis the season: GIFT SUBSCRIPTIONS
We just added a printable gift card option on the gift page. You can print it, fill it out however you want, stuff the gift membership information in there, and you’re all set! Or you could just forward the gift email you receive. Either way, you’re going to be a hero to that special Boston sports fan in your life.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- We just added a ton of content to the Free Preview section, so if you have any friends that are holding out, send them here to take a look. Included are a couple of my Patriots’ breakdowns. Make sure you tell them we don’t talk about #BSJFightClub.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Need help? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org