A few thoughts while I'm thankful for not having to sit in any holiday traffic this week.
- In case you forgot, the locals have a combined 24-game winning streak going on:
Celtics: 16 games
Patriots: six games
Bruins: two games
- Celtics and Bruins are both on tap tonight. I'm going to say the streak continues and both come up winners. The Celtics, after falling behind big in recent games, will wake up and put together a wire-to-wire game. The Devils have cooled off a little since their hot start, and I'm fully on board with #RideTheDobby.
- So someone needs to explain this Bruins goalie thing to me. Anton Khudobin is 5-0-2 this season, and Tuukka Rask is 3-7-2. Why is there any hesitation on who to start tonight against the Devils? It's a no-brainer. You ride the hot goalie until he cools off, I don't care how much the other guy is making. Your goal is to get as many points each night as possible. There is absolutely zero doubt that Khudobin gives the Bruins the best chance to do that right now. So what's the issue?
- So, yeah, Cassius Marsh didn't work out for the Patriots and they surrendered fifth- and seventh-round picks in the process. Hurts a little, but think it was a worthwhile risk at the time. Patriots needed help on the edge and Marsh looked the part and he played a ton on special teams.
- As far as Marsh on the field, it seems like he was a little light and lacked the strength the Patriots need at that spot. That being said, this move was a little shocking. I'm wondering if there was some other issue off the field that made the Patriots want to part ways with him so quickly.
And away we go...
Bedard's Breakdown: Patriots defense got a little wild and crazy with the pressure concepts in the second half vs. the Raiders. Why would they do that in a blowout?
Law, Seymour, and Moss are semifinalists for the Hall of Fame.
Geneo Grissom is getting more than the minimum for being on practice squad.
Patriots worked out two players.
Cassius Marsh is out, Eric Lee is in.
Podcast: Bedard on Felger & Mazz.
NFL Power Rankings. Where do the Patriots fall?
Big 3 podcast: Where does Kyrie fall in the MVP discussion?
Hot Stove Lunch: Otani, Stanton in limbo.
9 a.m.: Bill Belichick press conference (Price)
11:30 a.m.: Bruins pregame skate, Newark, N.J.
4:15 p.m.: Patriots player availability (Price)
5 p.m.: Live Q&A — B-Robb on Celtics/NBA.
7 p.m.: Bruins at New Jersey Devils (NESN)
7:30 p.m.: Celtics at Miami Heat (NBCSB)
Happy fifth anniversary of The Butt Fumble!
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- A ton of our best work is available for free in our preview section if you're still on the fence about subscribing. Or if you have friends you want to join you as a member, send them that link to check us out.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- You can give a gift subscription here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com