A few thoughts while I throw a few more logs on the fire to stay warm.
It's cold! What, no one told me it was actually going to get cold this year! I needed more advance warning for this.
- So between the Bruins and Celtics, I think they have 24 players on injured reserve, nine players in street clothes and are using standees to fill out their lineups. Or maybe it just feels that way.
- You know what they need over there at the Garden? Alex Guerrero and the TB12 Method, obvi.
- Celtics were cruising for a while, and then hung on for a 107-96 win over the Lakers. Just like we all thought: Aron Baynes is just going to take over some games for the Celtics this season, and the opponent is helpless to prevent it.
- Bruins fell behind 3-1 to the Rangers in the first period and lost 4-2. Bruce Cassidy is telling the Bruins what time the road games start this season, right? Because with their first-period performances and 1-3-1 road record so far, I'm starting to question that.
- Jimmy Vesey ... why didn't you just sign with the Bruins?
- Martellus Bennett was released by the Packers, and the Patriots have a desperate need for more TE and red-zone help. Makes a lot of sense for him to return if he's healthy. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if an AFC competitor (Bills, Jaguars, Chiefs) claims Bennett to keep him away from the Patriots (think the Steelers are behind New England in the claim process, but I'm not exactly sure of the tiebreakers).
- So the NFL is abuzz over the New York Times story that Jerry Jones is threatening to hire a lawyer and sue individual owners to prevent Roger Goodell from getting his new contract. A few thoughts: a) This is just Jones blustering. It's not the first time he's threatened to sue the league/owners; b) What a baby Jones is. Obviously, somebody hasn't been told "no" in a very, very, very long time. Nobody tells Jerrah Jones whether his player can or can't play! I made all you people. I just got elected to the Hall of Fame! I am all powerful! Bow down to Jerrah! For crying out loud, grow up. c) Wonder if Robert Kraft is taking notes and trying to glob on with Jones to finish saving face over Deflategate. This is how you defend your player. Kraft knows how to read the tea leaves and has smart people around him that know how to play the PR game. If Kraft swings over to Jones, that means they think Goodell is dead in the water and feel they might as well use the occasion to jump on the pile after the play and say, "See! We got Goodell in the end for all you Patriots fans! We knew what we were doing. Knew this would happen"
Next BSJ milestone: 6,000 members
We've crept past 5,900 members — and thank you for coming aboard early and often — so we're still way ahead of schedule, but onward and upward past #BSJ6k. Let's hit that before Thanksgiving.
First BSJ event
Still in the planning stages for our first BSJ event, but here's a little tease: if you're going to the Bruins and/or Celtics games on Black Friday (Nov. 24), keep the time between games open in The Garden area.
Weekly schedule (subject to change, due to travel, of course):
Mondays: Sean McAdam - Red Sox/MLB.
Tuesdays: Christopher Price - Patriots/NFL.
Wednesdays: Brian Robb - Celtics/NBA.
Thursdays: Joe McDonald - Bruins/NHL.
Fridays: Greg Bedard, Noon - Patriots/NFL/BSJ.
And away we go...
Could Martellus Bennett come back?
PatsCap looks at all the cap ramifications of a possible return.
Video: Tom Brady talks Bill Belichick.
Broncos struggle with tight ends.
Patriots could still be thin vs. Broncos.
Old friend Walt Coleman is on the call Sunday night.
Brad Stevens working his magic during the 10-game winning streak.
BSJ Game Report: Celtics 107, Lakers 96.
Video: Marcus Morris (looking like Where's Waldo, BTW)
Al Horford is in the concussion protocol.
Is it time to worry about the 2018 Lakers' pick?
Q&A with B-Robb.
McDonald: Patrice Bergeron needs help — now.
BSJ Game Report: Rangers 4, Bruins 2.
Videos: Bergeron, Rask.
Bruins will be in the Winter Classic again.
Bruins need better starts on the road, and more road trip notes.
Charlie McAvoy was excited about his return home.
Bruins are TBD in Toronto.
9 a.m.: Bill Belichick press conference (Price)
3:30 p.m.: Patriots locker room (Price)
5 p.m.: Live Q&A - Joe McDonald on Bruins/NHL
8:25 p.m.: NFL — Seattle at Arizona (NBC, NFLN, Amazon)
Hey Lonzo, what's your daddy have to say about this?
A FEW REMINDERS
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- A ton of our best work is available for free in our preview section if you're still on the fence about subscribing. Or if you have friends you want to join you as a member, send them that link to check us out.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- You can give a gift subscription here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Need help? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org