A few thoughts while we spend all day waiting for the Falcons-Patriots game to start:
- It was a good news/bad news situation for Red Sox fans last night as the ALCS reached its conclusion. The good news: the Yankees were eliminated, sparing the region another two weeks of Aaron Judge tongue baths (ok, so the kid is awesome) and watching the Yankees play in the World Series. The bad news: the Sox will have to wait another 10 days to two weeks in order to name Alex Cora manager, which looks like it is all but a done deal at this point.
- I don't really care when the Sox name their manager, as long as Dave Dombrowski is figuring out a way to get another big bat into the lineup.
- About the Bruins ... through most of the second period last night against the Sabres, everything seemed right in the world. Since Patrice Bergeron and David Backes returned to the lineup, the Bruins had outscored the Canucks and Sabres 10-4 at one point as the Bruins were cruising to a 4-1 lead over Buffalo. See, their early struggles were just from a lack of veterans and now everything's settled down.
- And then Chelmsford's Jack Eichel scored to end the second. Then Benoit Pouliot scored. Suddenly, the Bruins couldn't do anything right, and then Brendon Carlo takes a blatant, stupid penalty with four minutes remaining. From there on out, the Bruins were hanging on for dear life and nearly lost in regulation... to the Sabres, who happened to be playing the second of back-to-back games.
- That was gross. And now the Bruins need to regroup again, after going 3-3-1 against the very soft part of their schedule. And here come the Sharks, Kings and Blue Jackets.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (email@example.com), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- A ton of our best work is available for free in our preview section if you're still on the fence about subscribing. Or if you have friends you want to join you as a member, send them that link to check us out.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- You can give a gift subscription here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- We're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Find a typo? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need help? Drop us a line at email@example.com
And away we go...
Joe McDonald column: After blowing 4-1 lead to Sabres, next man up is not working for Bruins
Loved this latest edition of New England Roots: Billerica native Tom Fitzgerald on youth hockey, Tom Glavine, how he hates Fenway and how he's never been to a football game.
The always-informative BSJ Game Report with news and analysis from the game.
Live Coverage of the Bruins' 5-4 overtime loss.
4 p.m.: Revolution at Montreal (NBCSB)
5 p.m.: Live QA&A - Bedard on Patriots/Falcons
8 p.m.: Meet-and-greet with Bedard, Gillette (Behind Sec. 123 by the ATM)
8:30 p.m.: Falcons at Patriots, NBC (Bedard, Price, Richins)
Boston market NFL TV
1 p.m.: Panthers at Bears (CBS)
1 p.m.: Jets at Dolphins (FOX)
4:25 p.m.: Bengals at Steelers (CBS)
Looks like A.J. Hinch really likes Alex Cora.