A few thoughts before we skip from hockey to soccer games this morning:
- So the 2017-18 Celtics are finally in the win column after beating the 76ers in a hella ugly basketball game last night. I think B-Robb said there were 46 fouls in the first three quarters, but it felt like 96.
- Nice work by the supporting cast, like Jabari Bird (who?), Terry Rozier and Shane Larkin, making big contributions.
- The film nerd in me was very excited to see this shot. Why? Because that means M. Night and Sam Jackson are busy shooting the movie "Glass", which will be the final installment of the "Unbreakable"/"Split" trilogy. If you haven't seen them, you should.
- How 'bout those Astros last night to force a deciding Game 7 tonight in the ALCS. Yes, we're big Astros fans at the moments. What? This isn't NewYorkSportsJournal.com.
- So I guess this means we have to wait a few more days for the inevitable Alex Cora announcement as Red Sox manager.
- Some of you were asking for a site update, and I've kind of been slacking on that because right now we have all four pro sports going (Red Sox looking for a manager very much counts) and we're really grinding away.
- Many only view this site through the app, so they don't see the membership counter on the bottom of the page. We're currently at 5,673 paid members, which I'm very pleased about (we're at nearly 5,900 if you count our free military subscriptions). Yes, the pace has slowed but we anticipated that.
- Of course, we have 75 Wicked Diehard lifetime members, and their generosity is very much appreciated. But, truthfully, we cherish every single member, no matter the level, and we want to keep you happy.
- Site traffic has been really good: we recently went over 3 million pageviews in less than three months. And in the past week, we're up 26 percent on the previous week.
- I'd like to get to 10,000 as quickly as possible, so very shortly we should have an agreement with a local marketing/advertising firm that is going to take us to the next level. Don't worry, we'll always stay true to our roots and mission statement. Trust me.
- To that end, we're going to kick in our advertising plan very soon. We're looking for advertising partners who realize the unique value of BSJ, and like to support small, home-grown businesses. For more information, go here. For this model to work, we need advertisers to help offset our travel budget. It's crucial.
- Come back at 9 a.m., when we have our next installment for our New England Roots series. It's really a fascinating read by Joey Mac, as he continues another strong week.
A few reminders:
- Every Friday, Dr. Jessica Flynn will answer your injury questions about all four teams, or any other injury questions you have. You can submit those questions at any time via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you can Tweet them to her here.
- Mr. PatsCap himself, Miguel Benzan, will also be doing a weekly mailbag with all your funky cap-related inquiries. Hit him up via email or Twitter.
- A ton of our best work is available for free in our preview section if you're still on the fence about subscribing. Or if you have friends you want to join you as a member, send them that link to check us out.
- iOS app. Android app. (Both have 5-star reviews)
- You can subscribe here.
- You can give a gift subscription here.
- If you wish to upgrade your subscription to any of our other levels at any time, hit My Account at the top of the screen and then click Upgrade Subscription through a browser. In the app, click the settings thingy in the upper right-hand corner, click My Account, and then Upgrade Subscription.
- Find a typo? Let us know at email@example.com.
- Need help? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
And away we go...
BSJ Game Report: Everything you need to know about the Celtics' win
Some interesting comments on Brad Stevens about the timeline for Gordon Hayward.
Live Coverage of the 102-92 win in Philly.
Live Q&A from B-Robb.
Marcus Smart (ankle) didn't play vs. Sixers.
Really well-done story here from Chris Price on the 10-year anniversary of Matt Ice and the 2007 Boston College football team. Worth your time.
CBs Gilmore and Rowe are out vs. Falcons, Bademosi is questionable. Time for a roster move?
11 a.m.: Bruins pregame skate, Warrior Ice Arena (McDonald)
7 p.m.: Sabres at Bruins, TD Garden (McDonald)
12:05 p.m.: College football - Colgate at Holy Cross (Twitter)
12:30 p.m.: College football - Boston College at Virginia (NESN)
3:30 p.m.: College football - Georgia Southern at UMass, Amherst (NESNPlus)
8 p.m.: ALCS Game 7, Yankees at Astros (FS1)
Heaven's a little safer tonight. A superhero has arrived. RIP Devin.